Thread: Tips on installing threaded adapters on dust collection hose needed.

Tips on installing threaded adapters on dust collection hose needed.

Hello,

I am trying to complete my nightmare of a dust collection system and could use a few pointers. I have three boxes full of different adapters from Grizzly, Rockler, WoodCraft, Menards and Harbor Freight. My current issue is getting the hose twisted completely onto a threaded adapter. I think this is from Grizzly. The hose is from Menards. Does anyone have a simple trick to get this hose to twist on some more. I have been using a Wilton Vise to hold the fitting while I twist, but so far I am about one thread short.

20200909_192642.jpg20200909_192633.jpg20200909_192923.jpg20200909_192940.jpg

Hose and fittings come left and right handed so make sure yours are both one or the other. Looks right in the pic, but can't say for sure. Sometimes water with a few drops of dish soap as a lube helps, and sometimes gentle heat from a heat gun. If all else fails, call it good. If it's that hard to get on, it probably isn't going to come off.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Many of mine are reverse threaded. You could try loosening it and see if it will go on easier.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    I have never had my clear PVC hose bind up. Usually the flange is what stops the threading-on motion. If your hose is cinching up early I would call it good. Air tight is more important than being fully seated. I agree that a bit of dish-soapy water could act as a lube that would dry and help retain. Probably advice too late but, once I tried a few thread on types I switched to slip on with clamps.

DC QR Hose (5).jpg . DC QR Hose (4).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-10-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Hose and fittings come left and right handed so make sure yours are both one or the other. Looks right in the pic, but can't say for sure. Sometimes water with a few drops of dish soap as a lube helps, and sometimes gentle heat from a heat gun. If all else fails, call it good. If it's that hard to get on, it probably isn't going to come off.
    They do match. I did not realize they came in two versions, so I originally ordered left hand not knowing with right hand hose. That would not work at all. So then I ordered right hand to go with the right hand hose.

I was thinking along those lines after I posted the question. I am always leary of using soap though as it is a corrosive. I may try the heat gun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Many of mine are reverse threaded. You could try loosening it and see if it will go on easier.
    That must be some loose hose then. At my age the twisting motion I used made my hands hurt today. What do you mean by loosening it? There is no clamp so I assume you mean making the hose larger somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have never had my clear PVC hose bind up. Usually the flange is what stops the threading-on motion. If your hose is cinching up early I would call it good. Air tight is more important than being fully seated. I agree that a bit of dish-soapy water could act as a lube that would dry and help retain. Probably advice too late but, once I tried a few thread on types I switched to slip on with clamps.

DC QR Hose (5).jpg . DC QR Hose (4).jpg
    I did actually purchase some clear DustRight hose, but then I discovered the hose I bought probably 12 years ago from Menards. As you see, this dust collection system was planned but never built. Never enough time. I also bought some bridge clamps. I did learn about those also being left and right handed as well. I found a supply company online that offers five inch bridge clamps as I needed two for the hose from my blower to the trash can cyclone. I bought those wrong handed after after asking which to get from the supplier. Terrible customer service. As they cost more to ship than to buy. I drilled out the welds and reversed them, and rewelded.

For some reason I am not allowed to look at the photos in your post. Not enough permissions or something.

Thanks all for the answers.
    Last edited by Robert Blasi; 09-10-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Tried Heat - no luck

I guess I am calling it good. After mounting it back in the vice and then heating the hose up, I tried twisting it on the rest of the way. I succeeded in twisting the vice off of the table it was mounted to. This is a clamp on vice made by Wilton, so no I did not turn into the Hulk. I use a number of clamp on fixtures on my work bench as my Rigid TS2400-1 table saw is the structure under the top.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Blasi View Post
    Hello,

I am trying to complete my nightmare of a dust collection system and could use a few pointers. I have three boxes full of different adapters from Grizzly, Rockler, WoodCraft, Menards and Harbor Freight. My current issue is getting the hose twisted completely onto a threaded adapter. I think this is from Grizzly. The hose is from Menards. Does anyone have a simple trick to get this hose to twist on some more. I have been using a Wilton Vise to hold the fitting while I twist, but so far I am about one thread short.
    I had a similar problem. I rubbed the hard plastic portion with paraffin wax. Hose threaded right on after that.

I only had to fight the fight once but it was a battle. I soaked the hose end in boiling water and used a lot of cuss words, but I got it on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

When I had a hard time getting a fernco fitting over a cast iron pipe 3 feet down in the ground I used my head. I put a cherne plug inside the fernco female end to expand it for 30 minites or so. Then it slipped it on just fine. I waited another 30 minutes for it to settle back down to size before I tightened the hose clamp all the way.
    Bil lD