Thread: Electrical advice needed

Electrical advice needed

My shop is in a freestanding garage behind some investment property we own. The house, which is vacant at the moment, has a new panel installed a few years ago and the garage got a new sub panel with an underground feed. During a windstorm a couple days ago a large maple tree across the street broke, taking out a power pole and all the power lines. The surge tripped multiple breakers in the house and the shop. All of them reset, except one. The breaker which services my ceiling lights and some wall plugs immediately pops when reset. It is a fairly loud sound, almost like a florescent tube breaking but is so quick I can't tell if it is from the panel or the first ceiling light. Power for the garage door opener is also on the same circuit. I assume the breaker is the problem but any suggestions on what to look for and how to test when I pull the panel cover? Everything was off when the power went out.

Blog Entries
    Start by turning off all the lights & unplugging anything that is on the bad circuit, then try a reset. It's more likely that a light fixture (ballast or driver) or the garage door opener was damaged by the surge than the building wiring. The fact that the breaker makes a loud pop when trying to reset suggests a direct short circuit rather than a bad breaker.

Doesn't sound like a failed breaker to me from your description, although it's possible. Turn off the power to the Panel containing the breaker. Remove the wire from the breaker, leaving the breaker off. Restore the power and try resetting the breaker. If it still trips, then it is likely bad. If it doesn't trip, then you likely have a problem downstream. At that point, an inexpensive multimeter used on resistance range with no power applied to the circuit can help you find the problem, or you can try disconnecting sections of the circuit at the various device boxes to isolate the problem.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Start by turning off all the lights & unplugging anything that is on the bad circuit, then try a reset. It's more likely that a light fixture (ballast or driver) or the garage door opener was damaged by the surge than the building wiring. The fact that the breaker makes a loud pop when trying to reset suggests a direct short circuit rather than a bad breaker.
    Good diagnosis. Even though it is several receptacles downstream I started with the garage door opener. Problem appears solved. Thank you.

Another good reminder I need surge suppressors on my jackshaft openers!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

When I installed some outlets for my stove and refrigerator, which are computerized, I installed special outlets that have a surge suppressor built into them. i did not want a power strip dangling off the wall back there. They were under $10 each. Cheap insurance for a load of food. They make little cube taps that are surge suppressors and would work nicely for a door opener.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    When I installed some outlets for my stove and refrigerator, which are computerized, I installed special outlets that have a surge suppressor built into them. i did not want a power strip dangling off the wall back there. They were under $10 each. Cheap insurance for a load of food. They make little cube taps that are surge suppressors and would work nicely for a door opener.
    Bill D
    The ones I have are like small blocks for one device each. I dont remember the joule rating. Anything is better than nothing I guess.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.