Thread: Pau Marfim lidded box

Pau Marfim lidded box

I got a quantity of Pau Marfim (Guatambu) recently in 2.5 and 3" squares. I've never turned it before. Very hard and heavy wood from South America, fine grained, pale yellow to white in color. It's tough enough for floors and axe handles, cuts cleanly and sands nicely.

The little lidded box is about 3" high, finished with "danish" oil. Cabochon is from Ed "YoYoSpin"Davidson.

Pau_Marfim_Box_IMG_8244.jpg

This is the second thing I've turned since March.

JKJ

Very nice John - the grain lines up exceptionally well and I really like the shape. What did you use for the top inlay and how do you do that (I’ve never tried it but would like to soon)?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Very nice John - the grain lines up exceptionally well and I really like the shape. What did you use for the top inlay and how do you do that (I’ve never tried it but would like to soon)?

Tom
    Thanks. For the top I picked a small cabochon from the dozens I bought from Ed Davidson. He was selling excess inventory and I bought bought a bunch - they have a huge variety of color and pattern and came in several sizes. I don't know where best to buy them - you might ask Ed - you can contact him through his website YoYoSpin.com. Maybe he still has some to sell.

To mount the cabochon I simply cut a shallow recess in the top and glued it into place with epoxy. This was a very simple cabochon. I think you can buy them ready-to-use from places like this: https://www.firemountaingems.com/shop/cabochons Looks like most of these are natural stones. Try Google.

Ed has some info about turning custom cabohons on his web site: http://yoyospin.com/tutorials/ I don't know if he casts these himself or buys them already cast.

JKJ

John
    The shape of this lidded box is very pleasing to the eye(mine at least). I especially like the stone addition. I often use cabochons or other shaped stones to accent lifts or knobs .

Jim