Thread: Good quality ~$1,000 air compressor?

Good quality ~$1,000 air compressor?

I feel like good industrial air compressors used to fall out of trees until now that I'm looking for one...

In the ~$1,000 price range (new), is there a good-quality air compressor worth buying? For general shop use, light spraying and sandblasting. ~60gal and ~10CFM range. Single phase 240V.

Was looking at the 4HP California Air Tools model: https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p70285.html

Or something like this Quincy? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2355_200612355

Quincy, IR, etc....the "better brands" tend to have better on-unit hardware. IMHO. I've been using an IR 60 gallon 3hp for years for whole shop use including spraying finishes and I've been pleased.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

IR is probably the most common brand I see in local shops. Not sure about other areas of the country but their customer service in my area seems legendary from the way guys talk about them. Hope this helps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

The IR's I see sold new are made in India. Probably find for the pump not sure where the motors and switch gear are made. At that range get a two stage pump for more efficiency. For 1,000 you should be able to get a real industrial pump used in good shape that will last your lifetime for home use.
    Bill D

I went with the 5hp Quincy 60gal. Baldor motor, 15cfm
    https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...iABEgIsaPD_BwE

I do a fair amount of automotive repair out of my garage, and I basically wanted something I could flip the switch and count on it doing everything I needed for a very long time. That’s where I landed.
    I searched and researched the comparable IR’s, and the thing that kept me from them was countless reviews about overheating, blowing motors and it’s an expensive chinese motor with special mounting so a replacement is not easy to find.
    I’ve had it for about 3-4yrs now. I think when I purchased it was only $1200. Price went up a tad I see

I have a 5Hp Ingersoll. Other than the dump valve going out its been a workhorse. Be sure to only use synthetic oil

Just slightly above your price range, the Rolair 60 gal 5hp compressor is worth looking into.

https://www.rolair.com/products/air-...ght-industrial

At that price consider making a pump house outside and mount the tank upstairs. Buy a good pump and a good tank seperate. I bought a 60 gallon tank with a poor pump for 120. Later found a good quincy pump ad got a excellent package for just over 400 plus a trip to Nevada.
    Bill D.

Thanks, guys.

Adam - the 5HP Quincy looks like what I was looking for (Baldor motor, 100% duty cycle, etc).
    Peter - the Rolair also looks very nice.

Good options, thanks!

Only input I can give you on the quincy is to look for a local compressor dealer. They will usually either be the same price or maybe even less than ordering from somewhere online. Not only will you be supporting a local dealer, you will get a mile of phenomenal input and advice as well as support if you have issues down the road. The local dealers do the service on any quincy units (billed back to quincy) but dealing with them directly is just better all around.

In your price point you can beat a 50,000 hour pump on a quincy and not skimping on parts.