Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The reworked Narex handles

The reworked Narex handles

In the thread I started on chisel handle profiles I indicated I was purchasing the set of 6 Narex premium unhandled chisels and I would repurpose the set of 4 Narex standard chisels I have had for several years.

I roughly ground the old ones to accommodate the occasional moment I might need to get into tight places, but I have never liked the clubby handles they came with. So, after having them for probably 6-7 years I finally decided to pull the handles, get rid of the hoop on the butts and reshape them. It went smoothly and didn’t take but a couple hours. Should’ve done that when I bought them!

Eventually, I will dress up the regrind on them, but next comes the handles for the new chisels that arrived today. I will say they are nicer than the standard ones. Appear to be from the same “blanks”, but more narrow lands and smoother surfaces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

I like the profile on the reground ones. Sometimes, though, I think I'm the only person who actually likes the stock Narex handles...

Blog Entries
    In a tight spot, you can make a handle by making a hex or octagon and whittling it to round. I have done it.

Can you clarify what I am seeing here (in your two pictures). My guess is....... Your old chisels with the new handles AND the new chisels with the stuff that came with them.

I was trying to reconcile how we went from one to the other and then I thought.... those are not the same set are they?

I like your new handles. I have to let the regrind process in my brain for a bit, but I think that I follow what you did there.

BTW, I have been waiting to see what you did with the handles, looking forward to how your new set ends up.

Andrew, I apologize if I was vague, but you have it right. The four “old” standard Narex chisels are the ones with the reworked original beech handles. The new set of 6 Narex premium were bought unhandled and arrived today. They come with slightly tapered ferrules and leather washers that are meant to go between the handle and the bolster. I am not sure I will use those.

I will post a pic or two of the newly handled chisels when I get them done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Andrew, I apologize if I was vague, but you have it right. The four “old” standard Narex chisels are the ones with the reworked original beech handles. The new set of 6 Narex premium were bought unhandled and arrived today. They come with slightly tapered ferrules and leather washers that are meant to go between the handle and the bolster. I am not sure I will use those.

I will post a pic or two of the newly handled chisels when I get them done.
    Woo hooo, I got it right. In general, when I get it wrong, I usually assume that it is me, not hte poster.

John your redo handles look good. Similar to original 750s without the leather. Should serve you well.
    Jim

Jim, I posted pics of the new Narex chisels and handles in the thread on preferred handle profile.

John, the Narex look very similar to Stanley (with black handles ... I forget the number) and Marples chisels. This is a Stanley with re-ground lands ...

.. and then heat-treated and handled as a gift for a friend ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, the reworked handles appear a little heavy to me - so on the new Narex premium unhandled chisels I bought, I made the handles more petite and more in line with the BS chisels I had previously. They feel really good in the hand, though I have small hands.

I posted these pics in the previous thread on "favorite profile", but here they are again showing the handles as turned and then with a coat of General Finishes Java gel stain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lordy John, I wish I had turning capability. Those are some great looking handles indeed.
    David

John, I may be tempting you into making them - or just try one - again: the Narex (as with the one I show) do not require the ferrule they come with. The end of the socket is solid, and the handle can be seated against it. To my eye, going without the ferrule creates a cleaner, more elegant appearance. I think that your handle design, seated flush against the socket without the ferrule, would look very good. But that is just my opinion.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, I readily agree your handle design is more sleek, but the bolster on your chisel is much larger than all the Narex set with the possible exception of the 1” chisel. If I tapered the handle to the diameter of the bolsters on the Narex I am afraid I wouldn’t have sufficient wood around the tenon to support side pressure - intentional or otherwise. I believe I am more comfortable with the ferrules, but I do appreciate the suggestion.

Blog Entries
    I say again, make octagon handles on your table saw then hand plane and sand them round.

It's pretty clear the OP has a lathe and turns regularly.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut