Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another bandsaw help question: Laguna LT18 vs Bx18

Mike, I see you are an early 2000s LT18 Owner. I have sent you a PM. When you have a moment, please give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    If you are processing rough timbers, especially thick ones, I would go with the LT18. I have had one since 2001 and not a problem with it. The newer models have more resaw capacity than the 12" of my machine, but I would get another in a heartbeat if a UFO ever crashes into my shop.

What's a good first blade for the LT18? I thought I'd get a Resaw King, but unsure between 3/4" 1" or 1 1/4" widths. Primary purpose is really getting to know the saw, but I do have some 6" thick oak planks to dimension and resaw.

I live in the UK
    Two pieces advice I would suggest
    (1) Always check you have tensioned the blade before starting the saw I forgot to reternsion the blade and ignored the unusual sound made the saw The blade came off the wheel and destroyed the lower bandsaw tire The cost of a replacement tire was many hours of research ,$200 and 2 round trips of 120 miles to take it the be rebonded

To remind me to retension the blade I have a laminated sign which I attach to the blade with a magnet

If you damage the edge of the ceramic guides you can simply remove the ceramic guides from the bandsaw and turn them 180 degrees and remount

I put a 1" Lenox Woodmaster B bi-metal blade on my Grizzly. Grizzly said it's tension an 1 1/4" blade but I think that might be a little optimistic. I wanted to get to know the saw and tune it before investing in a carbide tip blade. Call me a chicken but I really didn't want to put a blade costing nearly $200 on a saw and have a major problem. It works well for resawing. The LT18 is a step up from my Grizzly so you probably could go with the 1 1/4" blade. They are well under $100 so it's not a big investment and it's nice to have a blade that you can use down the road for wood that's dirty or otherwise questionable vs a carbide blade. Then if you like what you've chosen you can get the Resaw King (that's my plan but so far I haven't gotten around to ordering the resaw king yet).

1” is the widest you can reasonable tension on that saw and 3/4” would be better.

It’s unlikely that you would even notice the cut difference btw a properly tensioned blade of either 3 widths. You will notice a difference in the cuts of an improperly tensioned blade - and that chance increases with wider blades on that saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    1” is the widest you can reasonable tension on that saw and 3/4” would be better.
    I agree with this. Just because something will physically fit, doesn't mean the machine will work well with it. With bandsaws, tension is a huge factor in cut quality, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might also look into the Lenox Woodmaster CT blade at roughly the same price as the Resaw King. I frequently find myself holding a piece of resawn wood up to the light to see if I'm looking at the planed side or the resawn side.
    Congrats on the new saw. It's a fine machine.