Thread: 17 inch Bandsaw motor question

17 inch Bandsaw motor question

I have a typical Taiwanese 17 inch bandsaw. It has a "2 hp" motor- sure but 110 volts. The saw works ok, has heavy cast iron wheels and handles a 3/4" blade just fine. I would like to install a real 3 hp motor. Before I take it apart can anyone tell me what motor mount is used on these saws - c- flange or?

When I got this saw it had no labels. Says Pioneer on the motor. Looks exactly like General International or Grizzly.

The motor plate may say what type of frame it has.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    I have a typical Taiwanese 17 inch bandsaw. It has a "2 hp" motor- sure but 110 volts. The saw works ok, has heavy cast iron wheels and handles a 3/4" blade just fine. I would like to install a real 3 hp motor. Before I take it apart can anyone tell me what motor mount is used on these saws - c- flange or?

When I got this saw it had no labels. Says Pioneer on the motor. Looks exactly like General International or Grizzly.
    Out of curiosity, do you have any problems sawing with the machine?

Why are you replacing the motor?

Regards, Rod.

John my guess as to the origin of that saw is; House of Tools .At the end of their time they changed their house brand name from "Canwood" to "Pioneer". I would say that saw has Canadian roots.As to what frame size the motor is ,pull it out and see. There has to be a chart online somewhere that gives dimensions for base sizes.

Rod, the saw is underpowered - I've been resawing 6 - 8 inch thick madrone (arbutus) using a new 1/2" 3 tooth blade and it's slow.

These saws all have a cantilevered motor mounted to a plate which mounts on the saw. Was hoping someone had the knowledge of the motor being a standard c-flange or if I was going to have to get a custom mount made. I'll pull the motor shortly when I can sched some downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Rod, the saw is underpowered - I've been resawing 6 - 8 inch thick madrone (arbutus) using a new 1/2" 3 tooth blade and it's slow.
    If the saw is underpowered the blade will slow down, has that been happening?

If not, it's not underpowered.

On my mill I use a blade with less than 1TPI for material that thick, 3TPI is high for material 8" thick yet you may have no other choice.Rod.