Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

7 Sep 2020

Greetings,
    Wow....this week has been a long working one on the day job. I strongly feel that I'm getting way too hold for all these long days + long nights. I hope the company and my job holds together for another 6 years and then I can retire at 67.
    I am so thankful for temps that are now getting cooler each day. This is a key indicator for me that I will soon start working in my shop on a regular basis soon. I'm looking forward to cooler temps and getting back in the shop to start doing things again. I've had several set-backs this year due to bearings going out on machines like my drill press, my table saw, and my jointer. I just got my jointer going again after working to get parts and etc for over 2 months.
    I did my 1st Sous Vide cooking today on some steaks that The LOML picked up for us. We were all pleased with the results. A bit more tweaking on time, temp, and marinade...and I'll be ready to do it again sometime soon.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, interesting to hear about your sous vide adventures, I have been thinking about giving it a try. Do you have one of those circulators or something else? I've been doing the reverse sear method for steaks, cooking in a very low oven to about 100 degrees and then finishing on the grill, or more often, in a super hot cast iron skillet on the grill side burner (I love blackened ribeye). I think a sous vide setup would give more control and more consistency compared to the slow oven. Let us know what else you try...

I continue to plug away at the office remodel. This week I got the under and over cabinet LED lighting installed and am really happy with the extra light it provides. Also finished ripping up the old flooring. Have to take it to the C&D dump yet, but that will have to wait for a few days as we had a tremendous amount of rain today, and the C&D yard will be a mud pit for a while. After pulling up the old flooring, I screwed the subfloor down nice and tight and squeak free, and patched a few damaged or uneven areas with floor patch. Also cut the roll of 6mm cork underlayment to size; all ready to glue down. I ordered the new flooring last week; it should be in in a few days. It will need to acclimate a few days, then it will be time to move everything out of the room, glue down the cork, and install the floating engineered floor.

While waiting for the flooring to arrive and acclimate, I'll try to make some progress on the doors and drawer fronts for the cabinets. Also have to finalize the design for the desks I will build next.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Dennis, for steaks I do them in the bath to 123ºF and then sear to finish to a nice med-rare. It's really important to season them early...previous day is best...but at least a few hours before going into the bath. It also is nice if you let them come to room temp before putting them in the bath, too. Sous Vide is the BEST way to do seaks, IMHO. I'm doing burgers that way now, too. Tasty. Juicy. And if they have stuff added into them (like cheese, etc.) that gets all nice and melty even better than the "traditional" method.

Shop time for me was limited in the past week. I did finish up some pet urns for a close friend who recently lost her dog and got them shipped out. I also kinda did a good cleaning because I have the eye thing on Friday and that means the shop will be nice when I"m able to start working in there again.

Curly cherry, brass and 23ct dark gold leaf.

IMG_E8176.jpg

Otherwise, for the week I've been working a lot on landscaping things and weeding. Lots of weeding. And I feel like a truck ran over me. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finally got my router based pocket hole machine finished. Still waiting for bit to come in. Painted front rail on table saw fence. It was looking bad after only twenty years of service. Got some fall collards planted at friend's house. Did monthly generator tests (five generators, including welder.) Church next door had a baptism Sunday. Found out circulating pump on pool doesn't work. It's attached to pool heater, without any way to service it without letting water out of pool. Fixing it is on my "to do list" for this week. Spent the day Saturday with AT&T tech, who finally fixed both my and neighbor's DSL problems. Biscuits and pulled pork for both grandson and the widows in our SS group Sunday morning. Put fall flowers on wife's parent's graves. Her dad would have been 100 on Sept 2nd, if he were alive. Not much other excitement this week, thankfully.

Wow! Everyone sounds like they had productive weekends. I spent Saturday and Sunday working at our son's home. DH and I worked on the new insulation package in a section of the 2nd floor. It is very involved, as we first remove 8' of the knee wall then remove and save the fiberglass insulation between the roof rafters. Once the area is cleaned up, nail 3/4" spacer blocks to the roof sheeting, cut 1" ISO board insulation to fit in the cavity and fasten to blocks. "Great Stuff" all the seams and cracks and then re-install the fiberglass insulation. Install 1/4" drywall to protect the insulation. Finally, re-frame the knee wall. Move over 8' feet and repeat. Needless to say, I end up worn out and sore as so much of the work is crawling back to the eave area.

Took yesterday off from that project and worked on canning more home made spaghetti sauce. Also made and froze stuffed green peppers and squash. Will head back to my shop today to continue working on the vanity for the son's master suite.

Packed up the shop for relocation to another state. Days to prep, all day to load, two hrs to unload. Missing the tools already.

Lisa, reinsulating an attic is miserable work: usually hot, tight quarters, mouse #@%#$ everywhere...just hate it. Sounds like you're doing an A+ job though.

Jim, good luck with your eye procedure/surgery. Hope it goes well and you get back in the shop in a couple of weeks with full vision again!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Last Friday I rolled my bar project out of the workshop and got it into the house.
    IMG_3479, 800.JPG

Spent Saturday morning cleaning and reorganizing the garage. Tonight I am to give a demonstration of a very simple leather upholstery job to the local woodworkers' club, so I spent part of Saturday, Sunday, and Monday practicing my spiel and preparing materials.
    Chuck Taylor

Dennis, nice to see you're temperatures are cooling down to what our height-of-summer ranges reach! Hang in there with your retirement.Remember at our age, time goes by twice as fast as when you're 30!
    Busy week for me and the family.
    Reassuring my 13 YO about protections in place for school reopening this week, he's going to a new school and none of his friends will be joining him.
    We got another batch of pickling cukes, and out them up for next, year, and we got a bunch of spring Salmon, for winter preserving. Yum!
    Learning how to make frame and inset panel doors for the cabinets I'm building: no wimpy 1/4" ply for me. Nope, I'm stupid enough to have jointed and machined oak strips to make the frames and inserts, cut the reveals etc. and have to hand-fit them to the frames. Oh well, I got a new plane out of it.
    Helped some friends set up a new woodworking project, praying they see the "light" and get good dust collection/abatement in there.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post

Jim, good luck with your eye procedure/surgery. Hope it goes well and you get back in the shop in a couple of weeks with full vision again!
    Thanks, Paul. I had my pre-admission COVID19 test a few minutes ago so I'll hopefully get an actual time for the "event" on Friday tomorrow or so. I'm both looking forward to this and not looking forward to it, if you catch my drift. The macular hole needs fixed or I'll lose the vision in that eye but there is always risk as well as the need to deal with recovery. There will probably be a need for cataract surgery in that eye in a year or two, too, because the "fix" apparently accelerates that. Of course, that will likely get me back to 20/20. LOL At any rate, my new iPad is ready to go along with my Kindle and a low table that will fit next to me bed so I can lie face down easily to keep my head facing down for the necessary time period while not being totally bored out of my skull. And Professor Dr SWMBO will have to take over cooking for a week.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I found out my air compressor is working. I thought I was going to have to buy a new one.