Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Shellac is stupid

I used to bring 190 proof Everclear to my friends in CA when I visited

No one could ever tell me why either.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Thin coats that’s what works the best. Slowly build 15 or more coats is normal but you have to thin it. I don’t measure I just use simple test a drop on my finger it should be dry before I touch it with another finger.
    But then again I mix my own flakes from the shellac shack. It dries fast and it’s also sand able and won’t corn up paper like the can shellac.
    I make a folded pad and wipe it with the grain. But there’s other ways.
    Lots of guys use shellac under other finishes not me. But I have use to control blotchy fir panels that need to be stained.
    If you can get canned shellac to work your going to love mixing it fresh.
    I described in my post on page two how I use shellac and have no experience with flakes but completely agree with the ease and beauty from many coats of shellac. This Padauk case was done with Bullseye Amber from the can. 12 coats.

First 3 one after another an hour apart then #3 lightly sanded with 220 Garnet on a block. 4,5,and 6 each sanded. 7-11, with 2 or more hours in between, even more lightly rubbed with 0000 wool hand held folded flat. 12, believe it or not, a tip I found in FWW, just DNA on a cheesecloth pad run over the surface as close as I could get without touching it.

45 Amp1.jpg
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    I described in my post on page two how I use shellac and have no experience with flakes but completely agree with the ease and beauty from many coats of shellac. This Padauk case was done with Bullseye Amber from the can. 12 coats.

First 3 one after another an hour apart then #3 lightly sanded with 220 Garnet on a block. 4,5,and 6 each sanded. 7-11, with 2 or more hours in between, even more lightly rubbed with 0000 wool hand held folded flat. 12, believe it or not, a tip I found in FWW, just DNA on a cheesecloth pad run over the surface as close as I could get without touching it.

45 Amp1.jpg
    That settles it. I'm sending all my projects to you to finish.

Oh, you guys are talking about getting Shellacked.

Here’s my recipe:
    In a Dairy’s milk shipping container, a block of ice chipped to get through the neck.
    Add 4 bottles Everclear, 16 #10 cans of Hawaian Punch and let stand until it’s party time.
    You’ll have a great Finish!

Hopefully, you've been successful by now, as I'm a little late to this party. You mentioned using a Taklon brush. A natural bristle brush should do a better job and is what is recommended on the TFWW site. Good brushes can be pricey are well worth it to me. I just dedicate one to shellac.