Thread: New home for my Bosch router table top

Blog Entries

New home for my Bosch router table top

I don't use my router table much and I had it on a table which took up quite a bit of room in my shop. I saw a youtube presentation which showed how to install the router table top in my Ridgid table saw. It took most of the day but it was surprisingly easy. And a miracle occurred, I only had to make one trip to the hardware store for the nuts and bolts needed for the installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    That looks like it should work out good for you...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Never cared for router mounted to right of saw. Means you have to have access to both back, and right side of saw to use router, plus feed is in other direction from saw. Nice looking job though.

I also have mine mounted in my table saw to the right and like it there. My saw is oriented with minimal space to the left side. Looks like it worked well for you also. I think you'll enjoy it in that location.

Blog Entries
    Looks great. I’m a left-side / same-feed-direction guy like Bruce.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Looks great. I’m a left-side / same-feed-direction guy like Bruce.
    Not sure what you mean, can you explain the differences between the two?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Dennis,

If the router is mounted in the left wing of the saw, your feed materials thru it from the same side of the saw as you stand to feed materials thru the saw. If the router is in the right wing, you feed from the "back" of the Saw. To me, you stand at the end of the saw rather than the front or back, so it makes no difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Dennis,

If the router is mounted in the left wing of the saw, your feed materials thru it from the same side of the saw as you stand to feed materials thru the saw. If the router is in the right wing, you feed from the "back" of the Saw. To me, you stand at the end of the saw rather than the front or back, so it makes no difference.
    The impact of the difference will vary with your use of the tool. You say you use yours little so it may not matter. A common feed direction means a common feed clearance area. For me it is more than that as I use a lot of jigs. My miter gauge slot distance from the cutter on the router table is similar to the tablesaw. This mean many of the jigs I use on the saw can move to the router table with minimal fuss.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    A common feed direction doesn't matter to me; what goes in must come out, so the same clearance is needed on both ends. From a logistics standpoint, I'd rather have the router table on the left side of the saw, but that's where the motor hump is on my saw, so that wouldn't work. Not a big deal though.

For a left mounted router table extension, the feed into the router bit is the same direction as that for the saw, if and only if the router fence is to the right (inboard) of the router bit.

Bench dog router table extensions have two sets of slots for fastening and adjusting the router fence, either inboard or outboard of the bit.

Naturally, when the fence is outboard of the bit, you don't have the same "across the front" access to the router table, but you do have much longer support when milling ends of long pieces (e.g. routing tenons on ends of long rails).

I have mine on the left end, where I prefer it, even if it is nearer the table saw blade, thus increasing the likelihood of interfering with a sawing operation.

However, mounting the table on the left end of the saw, and the fence outboard (to the right) of the fence, would maintaining the same direction of feed as for the saw.

-- Andy - Arlington TX