Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean N95 dust mask

Clean N95 dust mask

I use N95 mask in my shop, they used to cost less than $1 apiece, now they're $7.80 apiece. Anyone know of a good way to clean them? I only have 2 left, and I don't want to experiment with them.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Blog Entries
    Firstly, check prices again. They have come down considerably. Consider using a proper face mask with replaceable cartridges. Comfort and sealing are a lot better, and the cartridges can easily be cleaned by using a vacuum to suck air through backwards. I use a North mask & the cartridges I'm using now are a couple of years old & still good. A pair is less than $10.00. And go with N100, or HEPA, filters. If your gonna wear a mask, you might as well wear one that will get more of the smallest (and most dangerous) particles

There have been articles recently about cleaning N95 masks in a common kitchen microwave. Scientists say it works. Here's one from WebMD -- https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...th-a-microwave If you want to dig back to the original paper, it is -- https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/3/e00997-20

KN95 masks are pretty available at this point, if you prefer to use that kind of mask in your shop, and provide the same level of filtration as the N95 masks. That said, I prefer to use a mask that's designed to be cleaned for dust protection in the shop and bought an RZ awhile back for that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    There have been articles recently about cleaning N95 masks in a common kitchen microwave. Scientists say it works. Here's one from WebMD -- https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...th-a-microwave If you want to dig back to the original paper, it is -- https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/3/e00997-20
    Be careful with that. Some of the masks have staples to hold on the straps. Some may have an aluminum piece to shape over the nose. Metal in a microwave is not a good idea.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What are they "dirty" with? As long as you can breathe through them, they continue to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Be careful with that. Some of the masks have staples to hold on the straps. Some may have an aluminum piece to shape over the nose. Metal in a microwave is not a good idea.

jtk
    Also, microwave, oven, UV, etc. cleaning are to kill viruses which is different than unclogging and rejuvenating a dust clogged woodworking mask.

I just discard them once they start to get fuzzy on the inside or when the elastic starts to feel weak. We have some “higher-end” fabric ones I throw in the washer but the KN95’s I always considered disposable.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I had four 3M N95 with including valve remaining in my shop. I spent today one. Now I have only three.

As other warned, prices went down from peak. Currently in Brazil I can find them at USD 2.50 each.

Be warned they are not recommended for COVID use as although they will protect the user, the valve will not contain the eventual virus the user have launching they at surrounding atmosphere but they are my preferred at woodworking.

I do not like rubber face mask even it is way more convenient to change the filter element.

If you just want to sanitize them hang them in the sun for one afternoon.
    Bil lD

N means not petroleum resistant and 95 means 95% of particles under 5 microns get filtered.

P means petroleum resistant.

In the shop I use (somtimes) a 3M respirator (rubber framed mask) with either a particulate filter or an organic solvent filter depending on whether I am sanding teak or slinging epoxy.

If you are just working in the shop with wood dust a particulate filter should neet your needs.

Thanks, it look like it time to use my respirator (3M 07193) until things cool back down. The N95 are either way too expensive or not available at all. Found the KN95 at Amazon for $113 for 50, but by the time I went through 50 masks the N95 would be back to a reasonable price. Filters for the respirator are still reasonably priced.
    Anonyms

Tool Nut has KN95s in stock for very reasonable prices.
    --

Thanks Jim, they are on the way to Lakeside!
    Anonyms

Happy to help.
    --