Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Voigt Planes

Steve Voigt Planes

If you do very much stock prep by hand you owe yourself a couple or three of Steve's planes. I'm taking some pretty rough Alder down for panel glue up. While working on it I had to stop and take a photo of Steve's Try Plane in action. The cutter is easy to set, stays set and the plane just glides over the stock so much so I tend to forget to wax the sole. Did I mention it is also really light.

steveVoigtTryPlane.jpg

Anyway, I'm making a tall Kitchen Trash can out of the Alder. I have two more slats to prep before gluing up the panels. It is kinda slow going because at 1000 this morning it is already 94F and forecast to hit 102F in a couple of hours. That's the kinda good news/bad news. The good is it is maybe only going into the low 100's today instead of over 110F. The bad is it is 102F and even an old desert rat like myself has to limit time exposed to those temps.

As an aside: Once the ambient air temperature goes over approximately 94F body heat is no longer transferred out of the body but the external heat is instead transferred into the body. The Bedouins know what they are doing with the way they dress to keep the hot air from touching their skin. If it keeps getting hotter here in the Desert Southwest I may have to buy some robes.

The last two slats may be finished on the machines just to get 'em done.

ken

That try plane is a beauty Ken...what is the length?

Steve's Try plane is 22" long with a 2-1/2" iron bedded at 47*. When it arrives as set up by Steve, it shoots the shaving out in straight line - no curl, no crinkle. I believe that he will bed the iron at a different angle if you so desire. Ken speaks the truth - Steve's planes work as advertised and his try plane made me retire my #7. I'm pretty sure that I have waxed my entire plane with some Johnson's a time or two, but don't ever think to wax the sole because it glides over the surface without waxing.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Steve's Try plane is 22" long with a 2-1/2" iron bedded at 47*. When it arrives as set up by Steve, it shoots the shaving out in straight line - no curl, no crinkle. I believe that he will bed the iron at a different angle if you so desire. Ken speaks the truth - Steve's planes work as advertised and his try plane made me retire my #7. I'm pretty sure that I have waxed my entire plane with some Johnson's a time or two, but don't ever think to wax the sole because it glides over the surface without waxing.
    Thanks David,

You saved me from going out to the very hot shop to measure . I'm not knocking Philly Planes, I have a couple and love his single iron Jack, but if I had to pick one maker it would be Steve. My experience is the same as yours, problem comes in when you have to re-set the plane.

ken

Are these double iron planes?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rathhaus View Post
    Are these double iron planes?
    Eric,

Yes, one of the few makers of modern wood stock planes that are.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post

As an aside: Once the ambient air temperature goes over approximately 94F body heat is no longer transferred out of the body but the external heat is instead transferred into the body. The Bedouins know what they are doing with the way they dress to keep the hot air from touching their skin. If it keeps getting hotter here in the Desert Southwest I may have to buy some robes.

The last two slats may be finished on the machines just to get 'em done.

ken
    Something updated, for the 21st century Bedouin, perhaps?

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc...1.fit-760w.jpg

I can't imagine going to single iron planes. Yes, I know folks made a living and beautifully crafted furniture using them, but a double iron would seem to be much more effective. When I reset my removed iron/cap iron unit, I drop it down through the plane body to rest on a piece of glass I position underneath the sole opening. Tap the wedge in fairly snug, then take the plane to the timber for fine tuning. Your hands learn how hard to tap the iron fairly quickly if you just give them a chance to learn. I put a length of 1/2" thick material in a vise (edge up) and check the thickness (by feel) of individual side shavings to make my lateral adjustments. If you watch the shaving and/or timber after you go back to work, you can also see if the shaving is too thick on one side and adjust. If I am edge jointing and the edge won't come square, I tap in a lateral adjustment because I know I can hold a plane square on most material. Usually it only takes a couple of light taps to push the iron out for a slightly deeper cut plus a single tap on the wedge (after every iron tapping adjustment) to reseat the wedge. If you start out with the wedge snugged down fairly solidly after sharpening and reseating the iron/cap iron unit, it is not as easy to tap the iron too deep with even a light tap. Do it a while and you learn. I always have my adjustment hammer within a short right-handed (I am right handed) reach for instant use and the tapping interruption is minimal.
    Last edited by David Eisenhauer; 09-07-2020 at 5:35 PM.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Eric,

Yes, one of the few makers of modern wood stock planes that are.

ken
    Gary Blum is another one that has double irons. Although his design is unique and quite effective (I have 5 of them as well as 12 Philly Planes), he makes his planes out of wood and incorporates a frog and backup iron. Check out his website to see his design.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Gonzalez View Post
    Gary Blum is another one that has double irons. Although his design is unique and quite effective (I have 5 of them as well as 12 Philly Planes), he makes his planes out of wood and incorporates a frog and backup iron. Check out his website to see his design.
    Thanks Orlando, interesting design.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Something updated, for the 21st century Bedouin, perhaps?

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newsc...1.fit-760w.jpg

Jim,

Too funny, I'm not sure how that outfit would work in the desert but his hair might.

ken

Well, it is rather annoying...when that ribbon shoots straight up...and then wraps itself around the left wrist...
    Plane Til Drawers, another plane.JPG
    Afraid mine was made before Steve was even born....a No.81.....its up there, staying out of trouble....22" long, 2-3/8" wide double iron....

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I can't imagine going to single iron planes. Yes, I know folks made a living and beautifully crafted furniture using them, but a double iron would seem to be much more effective. When I reset my removed iron/cap iron unit, I drop it down through the plane body to rest on a piece of glass I position underneath the sole opening. Tap the wedge in fairly snug, then take the plane to the timber for fine tuning. Your hands learn how hard to tap the iron fairly quickly if you just give them a chance to learn. I put a length of 1/2" thick material in a vise (edge up) and check the thickness (by feel) of individual side shavings to make my lateral adjustments. If you watch the shaving and/or timber after you go back to work, you can also see if the shaving is too thick on one side and adjust. If I am edge jointing and the edge won't come square, I tap in a lateral adjustment because I know I can hold a plane square on most material. Usually it only takes a couple of light taps to push the iron out for a slightly deeper cut plus a single tap on the wedge (after every iron tapping adjustment) to reseat the wedge. If you start out with the wedge snugged down fairly solidly after sharpening and reseating the iron/cap iron unit, it is not as easy to tap the iron too deep with even a light tap. Do it a while and you learn. I always have my adjustment hammer within a short right-handed (I am right handed) reach for instant use and the tapping interruption is minimal.
    David,

Philly Plane make a single iron Razee styled Jack that is a favorite of mine. I don't think you lose anything with a single iron Jack. When I need a Jack it makes no never mind which I pick up Steve's or Phill's. The others, I like Steve's better. Not that there is anything wrong with Philly Planes but having a cap iron, as you know, gives you more tools to control tear out.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-07-2020 at 10:18 PM.

Ken, Did you check out his sharpening box?

I have one of Steve’s trying planes (and a smoother) and it is just top shelf, perfectly executed and works a treat. His planes are highly recommended.

Thanks.
    Kevin