Thread: Makita band saw

Exclamation Makita band saw

Unfortunately we do not have much alternatives for a bandsaw in my country: either you got cheap crap at low price or professional big and expensive machines for professional use. Makita BL1200F is one of the very few small and with reasonable quality machine available but usually at a substantial higher price than their cheap "cousins".

Unfortunately we do not have the alternatives (and prices) you have in the US for 14" band saws (personally I think it is generally the best trade off between size and capabilities). Actually I looked for a band saw with 12" resaw capacity but I had to compromise at 6.5" allowed by that Makita model. I never had to put it at proof until today.

I had a piece of peroba rosa (Aspidosperma polyneuron) I brought from my brotherīs rural property around 25 km (17 mi) from home. A great and heavy piece 30+ years naturally dried. I resaw that stuff. It is 6 1/4" thick. Veeery hard wood... and it worked! Around 30ī at that thickness. I used a 20 mm Starrett 3ppi saw blade.

I had a few times with saw stucked but I am very surprised as good performer that small Makita band saw is. I had several good experiences with it in the past but I never went to so far demanding task. Its higher power motor probably made difference.

Bottom line is if you need a small bandsaw, believe Makita is a great option. Recommended.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 09-06-2020 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo as usual
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Sounds like a good test of your saw and a good saw blade helps quite a bit.

These not any good? Made in Brasil, not China. http://maksiwa.com/produto/serra-fita-400-mm-sf-40-10/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    These not any good? Made in Brasil, not China. http://maksiwa.com/produto/serra-fita-400-mm-sf-40-10/
    They are very good machines, simple and rugged for professional use, mainly. I do not know any amateur with one of them. They are not alone as locally there are a number of machines manufacturers usually offering much better quality than Chinese counterparts.

Unfortunately they are bigger and usually expensive. Makita fitted better in the available space and all alternatives I found at that size despite cheaper they were way lower quality and powered. In the practice, I did not have alternatives.