Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer/Planer

Jointer/Planer

Looking at different jointer planer models. Hammer a341 and 31 are out until mid march. So that began my search on others. Anyone have or use the SCM version fs41c or fs41e? Anyone know what the big differences are in those two?
    Thanks
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door!"

SCM make good machinery, you won’t be disappointed.......Rod

I have a Minimax FS41C and I am extremely pleased with it. I think the FS41E is a bit beefier and might have motorized height adjustment. I'm not sure about that, though. You should check their web site.

The significant difference between the fs41 c and the fs41 e is the former has its fence mounted on the end of the infeed table. The latter has the fence mounted on the back. The fs41es has the motorized table, but I believe that is only available in 3 phase. I made my FS41 e motorized on the cheap:
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOTS of folks have SCM/MiniMax J/Ps...lots of threads here, too. It appears that Phil has provided the major differences. FS41 in various flavors has been around for a long time and is an excellent tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Hammer A3-41 was worth the 6 month wait.

But then again, I'm a hobbyist with no schedules to meet.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I got the FS41e (used from a fellow Creeker) and couldn't be happier. Joints and planes like a dream, the changeovers are way less irritating than I feared, and the footprint is smaller than my 13" planer/6" jointer separate machines. Mine has the segmented cutterhead which give a far better surface than my old DC 33 did. I thought it was kind of silly originally, but have come to love the motorized lift. I plug in 18.5 mm on the panel and that's exactly how thick my board comes out. The single most useful improvement they could make would be to incorporate automatic up/down stops for the planer platform so you didn't have to stand there and press the button continuously during changeover.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Caldwell View Post
    Looking at different jointer planer models. Hammer a341 and 31 are out until mid march. So that began my search on others..
    I’ve sold every model you mentioned, both brands. All are fine machines and you would be happy with any of them. A few thoughts for your research:

-The direct apples-to-apples comparisons to the Hammer A3-31 and A3-41 would be the FS30 Classic and the FS41 Classic, with “Xylent” cutterhead. The FS41 Elite is an whole level/price point. More in line with the Felder AD7-41.

-The Covid situation has made freight costs wild and unpredictable and I don’t see that changing any time soon. We (Felder) have a west coast warehouse in Sacramento. The Italian machines would ship from Atlanta. Just my guess but I think the difference in freight to AK from Northern California versus ATL could be a consideration.

As Andy pointed out, you’ll have a machine like this forever. Since this is your hobby and by definition, we should enjoy our hobbies. My advice to anyone is buy the machine you actually WANT. Whichever model or brand, it should make you feel good every time you use it. Maybe getting what is available now is what you want? Or maybe hanging in there for another six months isn’t the end if the world? Either way, you’re going to end up spending a chunk of money, so don’t settle. Get what you want because I 100% guarantee that after a few of years of using a machine like this, you’ll think it was silly to worry about six months. Just my experience and best of luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Martin is selling the Robland line of woodworking machinery; a 16" Jointer/Planer is part of that line. No idea of cost but it looks beefy and well made. I think Robland is made in Belgium.
    Check the Martin site for info.

I confirmed last week that the FS41ES does NOT require 3-phase for the motorized planer height adjustment, but it is a $1k upgrade.

I just checked out the Martin site and saw that as well. May drop them an email to check into pricing and availability.

A powered planer bed is nice. But I’m wondering how long the power mechanism lasts. Nothing like old school handwheels in the event something goes south, and you’re out of warranty in just a year.

Like others have stated, get what you want and enjoy it for life. I have the Hammer A3-41 and could not be more pleased. Silent Power cutter head leaves a smooth finish ready for the random orbit sander, which I usually start at 120 or 150 grit. Way better than my old straight knife J/P machine.
    I would endure the wait and get a lifetime machine.

I agree with Mike's sentiment. I purchased a Hammer a3-41 last year, waited around 4-6 months for delivery. Worth the wait; a great machine - makes me smile every time I use it. Format/Felder/Hammer was about the only reputable Euro-style brand I was familiar with at the time so that's what I went with. I have no doubt a similar machine from one of the other European companies would have been just as great. I also considered one of the more inexpensive knock-offs of the same style machine, but none of the reviews were good enough to convince me it was worth saving a few bucks.

I wound up having to wait about 18 months for my Felder machines. All my fault, not Felder's as the construction of my shop was massively behind schedule. (And Felder was very understanding, BTW.)

That being said, I couldn't be happier with my purchases, and would regret it if I had just jumped into another lesser machine purchase to save time. One man's opinion.

Enjoy your new machines. That's the important part.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

That being said, I couldn't be happier with my purchases, and would regret it if I had just jumped into another lesser machine purchase to save time. One man's opinion.
    I don't think that the alternative that the OP asks about is a "lesser machine" than the Hammer branded products. But I do agree that one should ultimately invest in what they want, even if it takes a little longer to acquire unless there is an equal or better option available that they would also enjoy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...