Thread: Vintage hand plane restoration question

Vintage hand plane restoration question

Hello all,
    I recently acquired a vintage Stanley Bailey No. 3. The exposed iron is very dark gray, almost black - am I correct in thinking this is probably due to treatment with naval jelly or some other phosphoric acid-based rust remover? Second, the tote appears to be made of some sort of hard rubber (it feels quite a bit like ebonite). There's also a faint mould line at the top of the tote. Did Stanley use rubber totes at some point? I know they sold replacement hard rubber ones in the pre-war years, but this doesn't have the "B o E" mark that those apparently had.
    Cheers!

Called Gutta Percha. Planes sold by Diamond Edge brand used to have these type of handles.....so did old Pistol grips. You MIGHT find a DE inside of a diamond stamped into the surface.

Gutta Percha tote on a Stanley Plane? That wouldn't be factory but a replacement or repair, correct?

Tyler,

Odds are it is not a Stanley but an off brand clone. Show a photo and one of the experts here can likely tell you the maker. I think Steven has already done so.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Tyler,

Odds are it is not a Stanley but an off brand clone. Show a photo and one of the experts here can likely tell you the maker. I think Steven has already done so.

ken
    Here's a picture from the seller (I can get a closeup on any details if necessary when I next have my camera out) - it looks like a Stanley to me, but an opinion from a more practiced eye would be appreciated.

s-l1600.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    Here's a picture from the seller (I can get a closeup on any details if necessary when I next have my camera out) - it looks like a Stanley to me, but an opinion from a more practiced eye would be appreciated.

s-l1600.jpg
    No one but Stanley or people named Bailey made planes with "Bailey" in the casting.

The darkness on the sides is commonly referred to as patina.

If it were my plane, it would be cleaned with my furniture polish rag, blade sharpened and put to work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Diamond Edge brand was made by Stanley for the Hardware chain store to sell. About the same as Craftsman not making any tools. Stanley also offered both the Gutta Percha and the metal handles as replacements....

IF I am reading the photo correctly....it was made by Stanley over in England...

Broken DE6 rear.JPG
    What arrived in the mail, long time ago...
    Broken DE 6.JPG
    A Diamond Edge No. 6c....badly packed
    Broken DE 6 toe.JPG
    That Gutta Percha tote came off in....10 pieces..
    SDC12765.JPG
    Bolt was rusted solid in place...both of them...
    Handle had more cracks than a city sidewalk.
    Got a full refund....and bought the parts to make it into a decent No. 6c....