Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I really need to ground PVC pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Springer View Post
    So you're saying I shouldn't machine corn in my shop without proper precautions? It seems there's a kernel of truth to the explosion rumor after all.</joke>
    I thought the explosion rumor was that grounding the ducts would prevent the dust in the ducts from igniting. In Don's story it sounds like the ducts were OK but the filter was the end of the line. (Small joke. Your joke was much better though!)

Many folk don't realize the explosivity of dust, but when conditions are met its devastating. Simple food stuffs in all of our kitchen cabinets - take sugar; Imperial Sugar manufactured in Wentworth, GA - Inferno: Dust Explosion at Imperial Sugar - YouTube
    enough wandering off topic, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Coffman View Post
    Many folk don't realize the explosivity of dust, but when conditions are met its devastating. Simple food stuffs in all of our kitchen cabinets - take sugar; Imperial Sugar manufactured in Wentworth, GA - Inferno: Dust Explosion at Imperial Sugar - YouTube
    enough wandering off topic, sorry.
    I friend who was in demolitions in the military long ago said they destroyed buildings such as warehouses by first distributing a large amount of powder with one charge (I think he said they used flour) then ignited the powder. The building imploded rather than exploded.

JKJ

The bigger concern would be the planer.

Sometimes current can leak into the body of a machine. I check voltage from an energized machine to ground when I am setting it up, or working on wiring. One time I found that a band saw was showing 40 volts from the base to ground, when the machine was plugged in, and off. I did some bad wiring.

Now I un-ground whenever possible by having stuff plug in. Lightning came in on the ground, and ruined a $700. table saw motor. I have stuff set up so that it's grounded when plugged in, and isolated when unplugged. It has cost a lot to get all the plugs instead of having stuff wired in to service disconnects, but it's worth it.

Grounding a plastic pipe back to a grounded blower is easy and worth it. The less shocks you get the better.