Thread: Stanley No. 190

Blog Entries

Stanley No. 190

Here is a Stanley No. 190 that belonged to my Grandfather. It shows a patent date of 6-7-10 so it is either a 110 year old design or 10 years old. I cleaned up the surface rust on the body and the iron today. The lever cap is broken so I am going to have to locate another one. Also I am missing the depth stop and thumb screw. I was surprised at how sharp the iron was after all these years.
    IMG_0727.jpgIMG_0728.jpgIMG_0729.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Interesting plane Lee. I had to look it up. Seems to be a rather specialized plane. According to Patrick Leach it’s for weather stripping, the old fashioned brass type. Was your grandfather a carpenter? That plane must be fairly rare too.

You might try nhplaneparts, and see if Eric has what you need?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Interesting plane Lee. I had to look it up. Seems to be a rather specialized plane. According to Patrick Leach it’s for weather stripping, the old fashioned brass type. Was your grandfather a carpenter? That plane must be fairly rare too.
    Yes my Grandfather was a carpenter. He was also a blacksmith and a Erie RR engineer.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-06-2020 at 6:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    You might try nhplaneparts, and see if Eric has what you need?
    I ordered a new lever cap from Eric. He didn't have any depth stops.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Try St James Tool. They're out of business as I understand it but have several items including a couple depth stops, on the auction site. Reasonable prices too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I seem to recall that the depth stop, bolt , and washer are the same as on the Stanley No. 78......as th 190 is just a 78 without the "bullnose" feature on the front....

My limited experience with new Stanley stuff, even their sweet hearts is that (1) you should only buy what you can return and (2) Stanley service is not easily available if at all. So, fix it yourself or return it to the person from whom you purchased it if you can.

Did I mention that I am not really likely to purchase much made by Stanley?

Edit: Oops, posted to the wrong thread! <blush>
    Last edited by Andrew Pitonyak; 09-08-2020 at 7:07 PM.

I have the same plane, and also belonged to my grandfather. I use it for cleaning up rabbets on door frames. It has a scoring blade built into the flat side too.