Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many chisels do you use on a regular basis?

usually just the size for mortises....with a 1" for clean up....

Most used? 1/4" ( or so) a 1/2" , or a 3/8"...and the 3/4" or 1"

Can use up to 1-1/2" wide, mainly as a slick...

bevel, firmers, mortise chisels....size to the job...

My favorite sizes tend to be 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4. Fourth is 1/2 and the rest are not my go to unless the task requires it.

I admit to be being a chisel addict and have many. Right now I am mostly using the LN Bench Chisels with a couple pm-v11 butt chisels in the mix as well.

The greater the variety I do use the less I think I have to sharpen them. Have grown spoiled as time passes to only want a razor sharp in my hand. Used to let them slide too long.

My two cents,
    Chris

My most used pair of chisels are 12 and 50 mm (1/2" and 2").

How many I use on a given day depends on how many I have to try before I find one that is sharp...

my bench chisels:
    LN: 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4
    Japanese: 3mm, 6mm, 12mm, 36mm
    Czeck Edge 1/4" dovetail chisel

I use the entire range of these, depending on the task.
    I do wish I had a japanese chisel in between the 12mm and the 36mm. At the time, I wanted a really wide chisel, which can be nice for setting a baseline, but 36mm is only good for tenons or dadoes, and not useful for things like between the pins.

I don't do really delicate dovetails, so the 1/8" chisels are used to clean out corners. You may prefer to get a fishtail or pair of skews for that application.
    Do be aware of the side profiles, as that affects your ability to get in and clean out between the tails.

Matt

I use gouges more than chisels:
    dw3.jpg
    dw2.jpg

I use half inch for probably 75% of my bench work. I have a nice half inch LN bench chisel for clean wood and a beater plastic handled half inch for unclean or not wooden things. If I ever buy a nice paring chisel it will be a steel other than A2 since I work so much softwood, and probably be half inch.

My sets (bench, pairing, mortise and cranked necked) are all in a tool cabinet. On the wall that my bench is pushed up against is a small chisel rack with a random collection of one off bench chisels and one pg sticker. These get the most work when there is a random need for a chisel because they are within an arms reach, otherwise the task at hand dictates which chisels get brought to the bench.