Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many chisels do you use on a regular basis?

How many chisels do you use on a regular basis?

In the way of an unofficial poll, I’m curious how many chisels you all use in your regular woodworking? Different sizes? Different styles? Different preparations of the cutting angle?

CS says he could get by with one or two and just saw a suggestion of just needing a 1/2”. The “typical” book suggestion is a set of three or four common sizes. It seems that workers of centuries past might have had many chisels. I personally like Adam Cherubini’s suggestion of a few of the ‘bare’ sizes.

The main chisel I grab in the shop is a 3/4" Stanley, 750-style. I prefer the wider bearing surface of the 3/4" to the 1/2" for most things. After that it is usually a 1/2" Fulton with a thinner than usual blade. I probably do around a third or maybe even half my chisel work with these two chisels.

Then maybe 1/4", 1", and some of the other sizes. I have a set of Two Cherries I use when I need to beat on them, or if I need to clean up mortices. As for specialty (and non-carving). I use a 1/2" old paring chisel the most. I have others, pigstickers, sash mortices, etc, but I use the 1/2" paring more than all the other specialty ones combined.

I could get by with 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" in the shop if I had to. And an old 3/4 plastic handle Stanley as a beater chisel.

I use all sizes. I have a long standing plan to buy another complete set of the same type I use and grind them to make a complete set from 1/16 to 1 1/4 by 16ths. I use chisels often for layout work. I check them to make sure they are accurate width when setting them up. If I need a 1” long tenon I use a chisel to mark it or 1/2” wide dovetails I just use a chisel. They are usually within reach and help to avoid measuring errors.

Tony,

I have a few chisels split between Western and Japanese. Then there are sub categories of firmer, bench, mortise, and paring. Each has its use and each may do the job at hand a little better or worse. Add in the different sizes needed and you end up with a fair number of chisels used in daily work.

Could I limit the number of chisels used? Sure, my guess is you could get by OK with a half dozen firmer or bench chisels but it sure is nice to reach for and use the chisel that best matches the job in front of you.

ken

I have a thing for chisels and therefore have too many. A Narex set of mortise and paring chisels, a boxed seet of Woodriver butt chisels (gift), A full set of Veritas PM-V11 chisels, Sorby registered, Stanley Fat Max and a motley collection of others. I enjoy them all.

The ones I use the most: 1/4” mortise gets chisel, 3/16” bevel edge for cleaning out mortises and small dovetails, 3/8 for other small/medium tasks, 1” for everything bigger. I really like having a bigger chisel to get clean shoulders on tenons and other visible lines. I’ve got a 5/8, 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 as well. I think it’s nice to have a range of sizes to use one that best matches what I’m working on, but if I was traveling and only had to bring one or two chisels I’m sure I’d get by just fine.

i grind everything at 30 degrees.

Blog Entries
    My most used chisel is a 3/8" bench chisel. I use less than a half a dozen on a regular basis but, have many chisels that are specifically for non-regular work ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a 1/2 LN chisel and a 1" LN chisel that sees 90% of my work. The other 10% is a 1/8 Stanley 750.

With that said, I completely fell in love the first time I held a LN chisel. I will definitely be getting more, although I have done fine with these two.

I have a few “sets” of makes, but that is irrelevant. It is the sizes that matter here.

When dovetailing, removal if waste from tails on drawers is with a 1/8” or 3/6” On cases it is usually 1/4”. Removal of waste from pins may require 1/2”, 3/4”. The baseline benefits from a 1”.

3/8” fishtail chisel for socket corners.

Tenon shoulders generally use a 3/4” (paring with incremental bites, that is 1/8” to 1/4” bites). A 1” chisel for the cheeks.

Mortice chisels: 1/8” used for inlaying drawer handles, and 1/4” and 5/16” for framing furniture.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My go-to chisels are a mix of Japanese and western. For chopping tasks other than mortising, I much prefer oiirenomi (striking chisels) over the Narex bevel edge bench chisels I had been using; I regularly use 3, 6, 9, 12, and 24 mm. These serve reasonably well as 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 1 inch “bare.” I’d say I use 6, 12, and 24 the most. All are sharpened to something in the neighborhood of 30-35 degrees (I don’t measure the bevel angles).

For paring, I generally use usunomi (Japanese paring chisels) in 6, 12, 24, and 36 mm but also use a Pfeil 8 mm and occasionally the 3mm oiirenomi. The usunomi are sharpened closer to 25 degrees and again I prefer them over the Narex bevel edge bench chisels.

For chopping mortises, western 1/4 and 5/16.

Like most here, the 3/4" (19 mm) is my most commonly used size. I have a 2" wide chisel for flattening tenons and a 3/8" mortising chisel that gets some use.

The 3/4" is the only one appreciably shorter than the rest. I like less expensive, "softer" 01 steel that is easy to sharpen.

Seems 5/8" always finds its way into my hand. Make? Well..........it's vintage, with tang handle. When it comes to grabbing a sharp object, it's whatever is nearest!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

It has everything to do with how you work and the task in which you use chisels. For general paring I think most people could do well with a good 1/2 chisel, but if you do a lot of dovetailing your needs are considerably different. Even in woodworkers that dovetail a lot their needs are different again depending on how they layout dovetails. Some may never need a 3/16" wide chisel and some couldn't do without that size and maybe a 1/8". Chisel needs are as different as there are woodworkers.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    It has everything to do with how you work and the task in which you use chisels. For general paring I think most people could do well with a good 1/2 chisel, but if you do a lot of dovetailing your needs are considerably different. Even in woodworkers that dovetail a lot their needs are different again depending on how they layout dovetails. Some may never need a 3/16" wide chisel and some couldn't do without that size and maybe a 1/8". Chisel needs are as different as there are woodworkers.
    +1

I seem to spend a lot of time with hand cut dovetails for drawers so much depends on the size of the drawer, but, most likely the 1/4 through 3/4 depending on the drawer and dovetail size. If the spacing is very small for the tails, then the spaces between the pins is large. When I am making tiny dovetails (like on a toothpick holder) then I use my very small detail chisels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post

Ron
    +2

From 1/8" to 1" by 1/8" steps with a 1/16" step in a couple of places. Larger than 1" by 1/4" up to 2", the only size not in my set is a 1-3/4".

Dovetailing on 2/4 stock uses different chisels than dovetails on 8/4 stock.

There are at least five distinctly different sets of chisels regularly used at various times in my shop.

A mixed set of 'butt' chisels consists of various bevel edge chisels that have become short over time. One of them may have actually originated as a butt chisel.

My set of paring chisels is all Buck Bros from 1/8" to 1" by 1/8" increments. This set has been put together over the years one or two at a time.

A set of Witherby firmer bevel edged chisels has some spots unfilled.

There is a set of square edge chisels by a few makers also with a few sizes still to be acquired.

A set of mortise chisels from 5/16" to 1" with the 3/4" and the 1" not being true mortise chisels. Mortise chisels bigger than 1/2" are few and far between.

There are also a lot of other chisels that do not belong to any particular 'set' of chisels.

There are only a few that do not see regular use for something or another.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-06-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)