Thread: Depth Width Question

Depth Width Question

Is it possible to engrave into let's say aluminum so that the top of the engraving is slightly wider than the middle and bottom of the engraving?

For example say that I want to engrave a straight line into aluminum flat bar. I want the top of the line to be wider than the bottom like a V. Possible?

for a visual demo: draw a box around 50mm square, just any box.

In the hatch menu,
    make hatch one 20 degrees, 1mm line space, and 10mm edge offset (below the line space)
    make hatch two 70 degrees, 1mm line space, and 6mm edge offset
    make hatch three 120 degrees, 1mm line space and 3mm edge offset.
    NO cross hatch, YES follow edge once, and YES mark contour...

You'll see that 'edge offset' changes where the edges engrave to, 'follow edge' will show and mark the new edge 'mark contour' will show and mark the original outline.

This is how you get a V shaped engraving, narrower cutting followed by wider cutting. Doing just a line will take lots of practice to find the right line width you want and hatch settings that work.

A single-beam line will only cut at the angle of attack, which gets greater the farther from center you're engraving.
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 09-05-2020 at 9:34 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

You amaze me! You surely spent a whole lot of time learning how to do this!

Is it possible to do the same type of thing with the attached image? It will be about 2 inches tall. I want the top of the bar slightly wider than the deeper cut. I'm making them now but the width of the cut from top to the bottom is the same.

I tried it making multiple passes (5). The first pass I set wobble at .015, the second pass I set wobble at .010 the next 3 passes had no wobble. In hatch I had a .02 line. Each pass was set at a different angle. 0, 45, 90, 180 then 315. It looks like it did something but not much. I then ran the same 5 passes a few more times but that didn't do much.

funny, I engraved that exact image onto some gun grips a few months ago...

I'm curious as to why you're after a V shape cut? It sounds like you're doing the right things, but it's going to take a lot of experimentation. After 4 years with fibers I'm still experimenting. I just completed a job engraving a couple hundred steel rifle cartridge magazines, and no kidding, I adjusted my settings on average every 3 mags, trying to save time, get a deeper cut and a smoother edge. The fun never stops with these things!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle