Thread: Is $2,900 too much for a 3520b, 12 years old?

Is $2,900 too much for a 3520b, 12 years old?

Is $2,900 too much for a 3520b that is 12 years old?

Does anyone know how much these were in 2008 (new)?

I'm thinking it's worth around $1,800 tops. Am I in the ballpark?

Doesn't make any difference what it cost in 2008. What matters is cost today. Big lathes only depreciate so much. $1,800 would be an insulting offer if I owned it. $2,500 would be more appropriate.

Three years ago I bought a barely used 3520b at a silent auction. A high school was closing up its woodshop.....sad day for education; but a good day for me.

My low ball bid of $2001.01 got me the lathe of my dreams. Facebook marketplace and Craigslist in this area has them priced consistently in the mid to high $2K.

It depends on if there are accessories. If not I would not pay more than $2200.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Is $2,900 too much for a 3520b that is 12 years old?

Does anyone know how much these were in 2008 (new)?

I'm thinking it's worth around $1,800 tops. Am I in the ballpark?
    A few years ago I bought a used 3520b without much time on it, came with a bed extension and some tools, wood, and extras. I drove 1200 miles round trip and paid $3000 and was glad to get it. A new bed extension is typically around $500 so one without the extension might go for a bit less.

These lathes are very well built, are in wide use in classrooms and clubs, are prized by their owners, and should last for decades.

You might look at it, see it run, and evaluate its condition. What you can get it for, of course, depends on a lot of things including the "motivation" of the seller, your negotiation skills, and the level of interest from other potential buyers. Your only risk of an $1800 offer is it being rejected; who knows it might be starting point in a negotiation. I will say unless I was suddenly desperate for money, I'd donate mine to a club or organization that worked with youth or the disadvantaged rather than sell it for $1800.

Note that the thing is heavy (almost 700 lbs without the bed extension) and may require some assistance to move. Disassemble first!.

JKJ

I sold a 3520b several years ago, with the bed extension, for $2800. I wouldn't have taken much less.

I just missed a deal on a 3520A for $2400. I consider that a good deal, even if when I bought mine many years ago at $2800. If it looks used and abused, then maybe less. They don't depreciate like cars do...

robo hippy

Thank you for all the help.

Depends on the market. There's a "low mileage" 3520B with an extra banjo and 26" toolrest on Craigslist here for $3900 which seems like a real stretch. On the other hand I could have bought a 3520 about 5 years ago with a ton of accessories for $2700 (lacked the cash unfortunately). Make an offer, what's the worst that can happen?

One thing to remember is that there's a decent chance that you are not the only person who will want it. A few days ago someone posted a craig's list ad for one with some accessories for $3900 near here.

There's one for sale on Craigslist out of Nashville. They are asking $2850 and it has the swing away tailstock and the outboard extension. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Just another one to consider.

I got a 3520B two years ago from John C Campbell Folk School for $2850. It was 3 years old. Every three years the school updates it's lathes. It was in very good condition. The school has a raffle for the lathes. You must have taken a turning class to have been able to enter the raffle.
    Joe

For that kind of money you could get a new Laguna Revo 18/36, especially during one of the 10% off sales that Woodcraft has. Just saying.