Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite handle profile for bench chisels?

David, thanks for the dimensions and the suggestion to turn one with and without the stop on it. I am 5’7” and do not have large hands, so doing at least one prototype was my plan anyway just to make sure it feels right as to diameter. I failed to measure the BS handles before selling them. They felt good, but my dovetail adventure was more than 10 years ago.

Derek, nice selection and good comments. And, thanks to Tony and Ben for the pics and comments. Some really good info on some small nuances, such as the slightly more rounded butt on the handle.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Rank amateur and compulsive tool hoarder here. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but my grip is when chopping is wrapping my short fingers around the handle as I would for a baseball bat. For more delicate cuts like paring I hold it my palm from either above or below. But this is also an excuse to have multiple sets of chisels.

Now you’ve got me thinking way too hard about how I hold a chisel! I think another reason I like the Stanley shape is the slightly shorter length. I see that my middle finger rests in the groove and my thumb rests on top of the little raised area just behind the socket.

DABDE35D-9050-4F7A-89B8-BA58C93A209C.jpgD723D8D9-F234-4271-AF6B-6EEC1AE4A49B.jpg

Ben, if I am paring with a chisel I hold it a little differently, but that probably comes from years of doing some carving long before I knew good technique. Since these chisels will get varied use, including chopping, I will need to take that into consideration. Or, do like Doug and the many others that have posted pics of their multiple sets of chisels!!😄

If you start with a flared handle as shown by Steve Voit you could always shave a little off. Most of my chisel handling is with pre 1970's Marples.

I have experimented with hockey stick tape for grip, but a smooth, unvarnished hadle feels best.

I recently purchased a set of three Barr Cabinet maker chisels, doubtful of their handles.

As it turns out, they're easy to manipulate and comfortable for chopping. They have polished hoops, so "spirited" use is no worry.

https://barrtools.com/product-catego...r-chisel-sets/

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I like the London pattern Ash handles as well
    What is a London pattern? (Or rather what/which is the London pattern you are referring to?) The google is showing my different things called that.

FWIW, I have three nice chisels. One each from Veritas, Lie-Nielson, and Blue Spruce. All have totally different handles, and I find all three to be comfortable, though I think I am developing a preference for the Veritas & LN shapes. (Which are pretty different to me).

One day I want to fill out my chisel "set", but I just can't decide which one I like better. Handles being a big part of the decision.

London pattern refers to a combination octagonal and round chisel handle. It and many more examples at this link https://williammarplesandsons.com/ch...ouges/chisels/.

Best-cranked-1200x922.jpg

Bob Rozaieski has an article and video on making tapered octagon handles like the ones preferred by Steve above.

RehandleChisel08.jpg

Well, I took some time from some chair work that I really want to finish up and knocked out some ash handles for the new Narex premiums. After all the suggestions and the helpful dimensions David provided, I was drawn back to the feel of the Blue Spruce handles. I did these in order 1/8” to the 1”. The first handle I decided a more flattened butt might be better. After feeling it and comparing it to what I recall of the BS I decided the remainder should have a more tapered butt.

The pics are unfinished and after a coat of Java gel stain.

I am pleased with these and look forward to flattening the backs (which actually look pretty good) and honing them and finally using them. One thing to point out that might be helpful to viewers is that the forging left some accumulation on the tang that prevented the first handle from seating fully flat on the bolster. That is shown on the other pic. Fortunately, the bolster and tang were not hardened, so I was able to easily file the area on top of the bolster to permit the remaining handles to seat nicely.

While these are nowhere near the quality of the BS, they are very nice for the money spent and I believe will work well for the limited use I will make of them. And, I feel good that the BS have gone to a couple of creekers that will get years of enjoyable use from them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you weren't aware, Benchcrafted has just started offering London Pattern handles.

A Rogue's gallery..
    Chisel handles, rogue's gallery.JPG
    All my users...and where they reside...

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    London pattern refers to a combination octagonal and round chisel handle. It and many more examples at this link https://williammarplesandsons.com/ch...ouges/chisels/.
    OK, thanks. I saw Ashley Iles chisels which were called London pattern that looked completely different which is what prompted my confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Rafael,

Thanks, that kept me from needing to dig thru my photo files looking for one of a London pattern handle. BTW, I'm really jealous, that is a beautiful set of cranked chisels. Did you buy them new, find them as used set, or just did the dirty work of finding them one at a time. With chisels I've done all three, buying new is a hell of a lot easier than the other two.

ken

Ken, I lifted the picture of the cranked set from the web site. Unfortunately, my meager collection does not include a cranked chisel or a London pattern handle.20200903_221944.jpg