Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your favorite handle profile for bench chisels?

Interesting. My Craftsman screwdrivers have the same basic shape (plastic of course). I don't own many octagonal handled tools, but I like the feel of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Ken, I lifted the picture of the cranked set from the web site. Unfortunately, my meager collection does not include a cranked chisel or a London pattern handle.Attachment 440783
    Rafael,

Oh well, maybe some day . I keep hoping to find a nice set like that before I fully retire and can no longer afford to buy them. Which BTW is approaching at near the speed of light .

From the photo it looks as if you have all that is needed. It is easier that way. While it is nice to have a chisel for every need it is also a PITA to store and keep them sharp and free from rust. The only reason I can get away with my collection of tools is living in AZ, anywhere else I'd be down to a basic set.

ken

Late to the party, again. Here are some Berg chisels that I re-handled. I tried to replicate the Blue Spruce Paring handle.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Blog Entries
    Those look great Phil. Is that maple?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks: yes, some maple scraps leftover from my bench build. Some nice curl on some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Those look great Phil. Is that maple?

jtk

I prefer a faceted handle. My hands don’t have the touch and feel that they once did and thefaceted handle seems to communicate better for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Interesting. My Craftsman screwdrivers have the same basic shape (plastic of course). I don't own many octagonal handled tools, but I like the feel of them.
    Screwdrivers are generally shaped like that, so you can use a wrench to help turn them
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Screwdrivers are generally shaped like that, so you can use a wrench to help turn them
    One of the many reasons I love English Turnscrews is the flat on the shaft.

Some of my Turnscrews, handle and blade are close to perfection:

englishTurnscrew.jpg

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-16-2020 at 11:13 AM.

For me I like the simple shape of this old Swan paring chisel. I plan on making some similar for an inexpensive set of Aldi chisels I have that have pretty bad handles on them...
    IMG_0115.jpg