Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router for Leigh Dovetail Jig

Blog Entries

Router for Leigh Dovetail Jig

I’ve recently purchased a used Leigh DR4 dovetail jig and I’d like to dedicate a router to it.
    My question is what is your recommendation for which router to use with the jig?

I have an older DeWalt DW621 that I was going to dedicate to it but I’m not crazy about the combination. The weight balance isn’t great and I find it difficult to see what’s being routed with it.

Blog Entries
    I would probably opt for a light weight model and possibly add a slightly larger base for stability, maybe a d-handle. Folks all have their favorites so I would expect a lot of recommendations. I would pick the brand that you have already decided on. I've got a herd of Milwaukees that continue to work while other colors have faded away . . .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-04-2020 at 9:14 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use two d-handled porter cable routers. One for each bit.

Blog Entries
    Christopher why the D-handle preference?

I recently bought a festool of1010 primarily for use with my Leigh. I did need to to order a brushing mounting plate from Leigh for this router that was $40ish but in the end I was super happy with the light weight and accuracy this combination gives me. Many will most likely say that the festool option is over priced and not needed, but I have long ago stopped defending my festool purchases and simply enjoy my time using them in my shop and can say without hesitation that I am really happy with the OF1010 for use with my Leigh. If you don’t already have the Leigh vacuum adapter (VRS I believe) it really does make using this jig night and day different. It not only nearly eliminates dust while using it, it also provides much more support of the router during operations.

TWO Porter Cable 690 routers, have been $100, new this year. Course I paid that used two years ago.
    D handle would be nicer and price reflects that
    Dedicated to dovetails only, use dust collection!!
    Ron

I use a DW621 and PC890 and like the DeWalt better.

I think the most critical thing is the ability to make small, accurate height adjustments.

I use two Dewalt 618s or 616s, I forget which. Imo, seeing the workpiece is unimportant. I actually do my best to keep my distance and avert my eyes, they seem to attract chips no matter what glasses I wear. The low handles help prevent tipping and the detachable cord is a nice little bonus when using tool activated dust collection.

I too use a pair of DeWalt 618 D handle base routers when doing dovetails on my Leigh D4R. The low weight and balance of the 618's are very good for all day use when cutting dovetails, and the D handle fixed base makes it easy to handle the router and control it with the trigger. You actually don't need this much horsepower to cut dovetails, but you do need a 1/2" or 12 mm collet (depending on which bit you use) to be able to use the larger shank bits because the 1/4" and 6 mm bits flex too much for acceptable dovetails. If you use two identical routers, (one for the straight bit and one for the dovetail bit) put a piece of tape on the top of each motor and draw the shape of the installed bit on it, so you don't grab the wrong router (DAMHIKT).

Orientation of the router is important to keep the exact same distance between the bit and bushing always the same. It can be slightly off center and your joints will fit fine, as long as you keep the router base oriented the same all the time. For this, I drew an arrow on the top edge of my router bases using a black marking pen.
    Always point the arrow toward the jig when making your cuts, and any slight error between the bit center and the bushing center will not show up in your joint.

When cutting dovetails all day long, I found that a simple plywood box/platform the same height as the D4R with a large hole in the top makes a good place to put the router being used when you are changing boards or making adjustments to the dovetail jig. On an all day dovetail cutting project, not needing to lift the router off the workbench hundreds of times in one day becomes quite important. Your arms will thank me the following morning. This is even more important if you are using a router that is heavier than my DW618's. I place this box behind, but off to the right side of my D4R, but it can go anywhere that is comfortable for you.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 09-05-2020 at 9:13 AM.

My preference for this kind of task is a fixed base router. It will have a lower center of gravity and is simpler to micro adjust for height...something you need to do for dovetail work. That "proverbial hair" difference in cutter height can make or break a dovetail cut, especially for half-blinds. It's a great idea to dedicate a router for this work, IMHO. You can dial in that guide bushing to be perfectly concentric and lock in your setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another D-handle user here. I have a Bosch 1618 and have tried both the plunge base and the fixed D-handle base on the Leigh D4. The combination of a fixed base along with the control and balance of the D-handle have given me the best results. It looks like D-handle routers are becoming rare, but I'll keep mine.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all!
    It sounds like if I’m buying one it may as well be a D-handle.

However, I saw someone comment about using Bosch Palm router.
    Does anyone use this or recommend it for the Leigh jig?
    I saw there is an 8 mm collet available for it.
    3CBEA6BD-A458-4D9A-8D5C-12FF0A0003C6.jpg

Blog Entries
    After posting that I looked at where to purchase the 8mm collet and nothing appears to be available.
    It looks like a D-handle DeWalt (unless I find a deal on PC or Milwaukee). I’m sure the Festool is a solid performer but with what I’m willing to spend then I couldn’t get the VRS for now.
    I’ll set one up for now to do the blind dovetails I have planned. And if I like it I’ll get a second one later to leave with the jig for through dovetails.
    I’m also ordering the VRS as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    After posting that I looked at where to purchase the 8mm collet and nothing appears to be available.
    It looks like a D-handle DeWalt (unless I find a deal on PC or Milwaukee). I’m sure the Festool is a solid performer but with what I’m willing to spend then I couldn’t get the VRS for now.
    I’ll set one up for now to do the blind dovetails I have planned. And if I like it I’ll get a second one later to leave with the jig for through dovetails.
    I’m also ordering the VRS as well!
    I purchased an 8mm collet for my Bosch Colt palm router from Elaire Corp online. It works great although I don't have extensive experience using that router on the Leigh D4.

I don't know if the current Bosch palm router uses the same collet as the Colt, but it might be worth checking out.

As for the VRS, it is an excellent attachment for the Leigh. The additional stability and super effective chip collection make a huge difference compared to using the jig alone.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-05-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

The VRS is a very important part, it makes the router way more stable, keeps almost all of the waste from being thrown at you. I have 8 mm collects and have never used them. I use 1/2" router bits on 7/8" thru dovetail. This is My experience, yours will be different depending on what size you are milling. I keep two PC 690's set all the time, plugged into Harbor Freight foot switches with router switch turned on.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I purchased an 8mm collet for my Bosch Colt palm router from Elaire Corp online. It works great although I don't have extensive experience using that router on the Leigh D4.

I don't know if the current Bosch palm router uses the same collet as the Colt, but it might be worth checking out.

As for the VRS, it is an excellent attachment for the Leigh. The additional stability and super effective chip collection make a huge difference compared to using the jig alone.
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 09-05-2020 at 3:14 PM. Reason: Tablet puts in what it wants not what is entered