Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front porch steps

Blog Entries

Front porch steps

I have to build a set of steps for my son’s front porch. It is a Sears home built in the 20’s is my best guess. What type of wood would you recommend? Cedar, white oak, or pressure treated or something else. I’m sure he will paint them to match the house. The trouble with pressure treated is it is so wet and shrinks. I would like to dovetail or dado the treads into the side piece for a sturdy step.

i need ideas and recommendations. Charles

Well here's an article on stairs that are dadoed in-
    https://www.finehomebuilding.com/201...tringer-stairs
    Just a Duffer

location and climate. does he have ice or snow as a design consideration? Will tons of snow fall from the roof and break up things? Many people are surprised when they find california has some of the highest snow loadings nthe world. I am smart enough to not live in that part that gets 30-50" a year.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Harvey: Thank you, will take a look. Charles

How many steps? Is this one step, two steps, etc...?

Blog Entries
    Bill: We live in upstate NY. Just moved here to be near our son as we are getting older we need his help. We live near the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie apx 50 miles south of Albany. I don’t think much snow will fall off the roof on that part of the house. But it gets hotter here than I expected and can get really cold in the winter. On a normal year lots of rain but dry as a boot right now. Trees are suffering from lack of rain.

Thanks, things to consider. Charles
    Last edited by Charles Grauer; 09-04-2020 at 3:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    I remember reading an article in Smithsonian magazine many years ago by an architect specializing in stairs. He wrote that the current standards are inadequate and always have been.

so, will your son be visited by the elderly or somewhat infirm? Consider something like 16” treads and 8” risers. Our house was built to code and, generally I like it a lot. My one regret is that I didn’t request more and wider treads on the front porch. Our treads are a brick and a half. Two bricks would have made a big difference.

our daughters house is really bad. The tread (just one) is one brick and I really hate it. My master plan is to find 1/2 of a grist mill stone and have it placed as an extension for that brick. That’s not my idea. George Washington’s Mount Vernon makes extensive use of those stones cut in half as treads to the out buildings. My daughters house was built in 1860 so the stone would fit right in. Since our house is on the same property and connected by breezeway (ala mt Vernon) the other half of the stone would fit perfectly at our place.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 09-04-2020 at 4:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Roger: Thank you for your thoughts. Yes it will be visited by old people, my wife and I. 10” tread are reall to narrow, I like what you are saying and think the treads need to be 12 to 14” if we can stand the length. Thanks. Charles

Blog Entries
    I think it will be 5 or 6. Need to go visit and make sure charles

Blog Entries
    Check this site for good wood choices.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Blog Entries
    Thank you Lowell

8" rise with 16" run??? I think maybe a typing mistake was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    8" rise with 16" run??? I think maybe a typing mistake was made.
    I read 8" tread depth , 16" wide, and nothing about riser height.
    Could be wrong do to recovering from 3 hrs surgery this afternoon and doing pain meds now
    Ron
    Edit to add, go wider on front steps by adding concealed stringers.
    If the house can visually carry it
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 09-04-2020 at 11:05 PM.

I built steps for my porch last year. My local lumber yard suggested pressure treated for the stringers. They had bull nosed treads that were true one inch quarter-sawn Douglas Fir. The risers were flat-sawn Douglas Fir. I bought good paint to cover the exposed wood. The last porch steps lasted better than 20 years using the same materials.

Dave

Pressure treated wood that is kiln dried after treatment (kdat)
    is dry enough to paint immediately.