Thread: Resawing/thicknesing AZEK?

Resawing/thicknesing AZEK?

I have a bunch of off-cuts from a client project of 3/4" AZEK.
    I need a new set of throat plates for my table saw, and thought if I could machine down the 3/4" to 3/8" for my saw, I might get a second life out of the material.
    I've read enough that I knw, running through the planer is probably not wise, so it would be hand tools.
    Firstly, has anyone tried to thickness AZEK?
    Secondly, what's your thought on using this material as throat plate material?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I haven't ever used AZEK but I have used a fair amount of Trex, which is probably similar. I suspect AZEK will dull steel knives very quickly, as there is no telling what all you will find in the mix. I know that Trex has occasional metal particles embedded in the boards. I have run the boards through my thickness planer with a Byrd head and the carbide inserts handle it pretty well and it comes out very slick.

Cellular PVC is pretty floppy, and is not rated for structural use. I think it would be pretty weak if you used it for a throat plate. After all, a throat plate is supposed to stay in place even if you're leaning hard on it. I use hardwood for throat plates.

I used leftovers to make birdhouses. Looking at the end "grain" I think it would look and feel pretty rough without the smooth faces.

I would probably stick to wood if you need to change the thickness. I have used some leftover AZEK as a sacrificial fence material and it works great for that ... very smooth.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I planned down some TREX decking to 3/4" to build the stake pocket fences for my Cushman Truckster using my DeWalt 735 planer. Yes, the knives did dull, but I was able to plane down over 50 lin. feet of the 5" wide decking without a problem or need to change the blades. You do need to capture all of the chips, because they don't bio-degrade like wood chips.

I use my 1987 Cushman mostly to help maintain my property, but in NC, the police consider it to be a variation of Golf Cart, which is legal to drive on secondary roads without license plates, as long as the driver has a valid NC driver's license. I've been to Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart with it, since they are all within about 6 miles of me and I can reach them all on the secondary roads.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 09-05-2020 at 9:33 AM.

Azek expands with heat and contracts with cold, so much so that the recommended fastening schedule is 1/2” from the ends when the line matters (I.e. butt or miter joints). I actually glue and screw miter joints and they still can shift. It’s also not at all rigid, especially at the thickness you’re talking about, so it might not make a good throat plate. I think the blade kerf would be enough to kill its usefulness as a flat surface.

As far as milling, I’ve found it to be quite easy to machine and have not found it to be especially hard on edges.

I've machined it with carbide tools (including running it through a helical head planer). Didn't see any particular downside to it - but again, all carbide tooling.

I've also tried what you're describing, but found that at 3/8", the stuff isn't stiff enough to be a throat plate.

I used Azek for all the exterior window and corner board trim on our house. It handles really well but I think Steve is correct. There isn’t enough body to it, especially at thin dimensions. It completely bound up my SS dust collection. I just washed the house this week With a hose brush and Got to look everything over. The Azek, installed in ‘13, looks like it was installed yesterday.

I have used azek for built up window trims/sash. Have all helical head jointer and planer and no issues. Have also made azek domino's for attaching azek trim at corners. Azek dominos and azek glue make a very good corner trim, with the domino's mostly keeping the pieces aligned. No problem milling the material, but yea, don't think I would use it for a saw plate. Also you can glue up the smaller pieces to make siding blocking for wall penetrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    I planned down some TREX decking to 3/4" to build the stake pocket fences for my Cushman Truckster using my DeWalt 735 planer. Yes, the knives did dull, but I was able to plane down over 50 lin. feet of the 5" wide decking without a problem or need to change the blades. You do need to capture all of the chips, because they don't bio-degrade like wood chips.

I use my 1987 Cushman mostly to help maintain my property, but in NC, the police consider it to be a variation of Golf Cart, which is legal to drive on secondary roads without license plates, as long as the driver has a valid NC driver's license. I've been to Lowes, Home Depot, and Walmart with it, since they are all within about 6 miles of me and I can reach them all on the secondary roads.

Charley
    That's a classy "golf" cart Charles!