Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cap tightness

One of the things many folks do is over tighten screws and nuts, the old "if a little bit is good, a whole lot more is better" routine. My Dad was guilty of that with many things in life but he did respect nuts and screws. I often see it with planes. My instruction is to tighten to "Handy and then just a smidgen more". It will allow the plane to function as designed and make it easier to use. I see it more often with the Frog screws than the lever cap, I guess because if the lever cap screw is too tight it is hard to adjust the iron but I see it there as well.

ken

Good reminder. I need to loosen my frog screws enough to be able to adjust without removing the irons. I have a few of my planes disassembled on my bench right now, just going over anything I can find to make them better. This will be numero uno when I reassemble them.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    That was my comment on WoodCentral. A tiny bend between the screw and the toe adds a little spring. But be careful if you do this to ensure you keep all square - I do this in a vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Thanks Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Good reminder. I need to loosen my frog screws enough to be able to adjust without removing the irons. I have a few of my planes disassembled on my bench right now, just going over anything I can find to make them better. This will be numero uno when I reassemble them.
    That sounds like a mistake. If your frog can move while set up to work, it likely will.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good job you mentioned this Richard, why one would want to adjust their frog.
    That clears up a lot of things, and makes up the majority of your answer.

The cap iron cannot be used well with a tight mouth, bring the frog all the way back flush with the casting, as
    the cap iron is getting clogged because your mouth is closed up.
    The front of the mouth has nothing to do with holding down fibres... that is,
    when the cap iron is suitably set.

From your comment above, its likely this could be your thinking.
    All this will do, is give the impression that the cap iron is set as close as it can possibly be, and that still won't be close enough to prevent tearout much of the time.
    Presuming you are getting much chatter and its very hard to push with your plane set up like this.

You might be finding this more noticeable on this plane, because the leading edge of the cap iron has a steeper profile than on the other plane you have.
    Hone the leading edge past 50 degrees, and set the mouth open to fix this, you may not have enough undercut on the underside also.
    Set the plane as per Weaver's advice.
    i.e the camber being perfect and bang on centre.

All the best
    Happy planing
    Tom

Just when I think I learned something. Thank you, I'll reconsider this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That sounds like a mistake. If your frog can move while set up to work, it likely will.

jtk
    Jim,

Been doing it that way for years and nope it doesn't move in use. That's not to say if too loose it will not move, just that if set correctly it will not move.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-08-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Just when I think I learned something. Thank you, I'll reconsider this.
    Richard,

See my reply to Jim and give it a go. I think you will be pleased. While my Dad was a "lot is better" kind of guy, he also owned and operated a large oil field Machine shop and if he caught me over torquing anything I'd never hear the end of it.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

Been doing it that way for years and nope it doesn't move in use.

ken
    Do you regularly adjust your frog(s)?

This would seem to negate the idea of the later Bedrock design.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just one more thing to add, most of this is moot, once the frog is set there really are few reasons to move it, especially if you are using the cap iron correctly.

ken

Jim,

No I do not regularly move my Frog. Here is something to think about, because of the way the Bedrock Frog bed is machined when you move the Frog you change the projection of the cutter. Moving the Frog on a Bedrock isn't seamless. It ends up the Bedrock sales sizzle is just that, sizzle.

Bedrock planes didn't sell because the old guys were smart enough to not pay more money for sizzle.

I wish LN would have used the Bailey design for their planes instead of the Bedrock but it is what it is and they would have still ended up too heavy and with A2 cutters . A new Bailey plane with tight tolerances but still light and with thin cutters and cap iron would be a joy to use.

Of course, as always, YMMV

ken

I'm going to look at some planes tonight, someone local to me has a bunch for sale. I hope his prices are reasonable otherwise I'd rather buy a new Stanley. I don't mind putting in the work to get them working well.

Type 20 Stanley No. 4....
    Stanley No. 4 rehab, left side.JPG
    A former rust bucket...
    Stanley No. 4 rehab, start.JPG
    Now works like new...in Pine..
    Stanley No.4 rehab, pine shaving.JPG
    Or on Ash...
    Stanley No.4 rehab, Ash shavings.JPG

Iron bevel is 25 degrees, single bevel. Iron's back was flattened, mainly where the chipbreaker will reside. Chipbreaker's leading edge was rounded...change that to a polished, knife's edge, and mated to the back of the iron, zero gaps. Chipbreaker is back from the edge a hair...just a thin, silvery line shows. Bolt that holds the iron to the chipbreaker is torqued tight, I do NOT want them to slide around while adjusting the depth of cut....otherwise, all I'd be pushing forward would be just the chipbreaker...

Face of frog was cleaned of rust
    Stanley No. 4 rehab, numbered frog.JPG
    Lateral lever freed up and oiled...
    Stanley No.4 rehab, brass wheel.JPG
    The 2 flat areas where the frog sits down on the base, were cleaned of paint and rust...frog is set co-planar with the ramp at the back of the mouth's opening...Frog's bolts were cleaned of rust, a dab of oil on the threads. I snug both down, use the frog adjust to align with the ramp, then a 1/2 turn to tighten all three. Frog adjust bolt is tightened once the two frog bolts are. Threads for the depth adjust wheel were cleaned up, a dab of oil added, once the cleaned wheel was started onto the threads. Only needs one finger to adjust the wheel, to adjust the cut.
    Stanley No. 4 rehab, yellow logo.JPG
    Lever cap....was cleaned and polished up, lever cam cleaned and oiled. Installed in place...adjust the bolt so the lever will make an audible "CLICK" when it is snapped down...then a 1/4 turn might get added...if needed. Lever cap has to press down on the chipbreaker, but, still allow the depth adjustor to move the iron/chipbreaker.
    Stanley No. 4 rehab, shavings.JPG
    A few test drives to confirm the settings....hard to stop making them shavings...and we're done....entire process from tear down to test drive took 90 minutes...sole was flat, sides were polished up, handles refinished....I think I can live with that dark Royal Navy Blue colour scheme on the base and frog....but NOT flaky black paint on hardwood handles.