Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying Squares

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    Andrew...I didn't state what I am using them for. Thought about that after I posted.
    I like to do case work...cabinets, benches, shelves, anything square. Those are things I like to build..linear projects.

Leaning toward the woodpeckers 642ss and the 1282ss
    they have some features l like.

Thanks for the suggestions. Glen's comments put it in prescriptive...buy what you want and like it every time you get to use it.
    Sounds like a good call. For large case work I have a couple of shop-tweaked framing squares but, the sorely lack and 'nice to use' features like a lip to catch the edge of a large panel, a thickness that allows them to stand on their own and so forth. As mentioned, Woodpecker's stuff is very well made and that price doesn't seem as 'proud' for the features they provide as some of their other items. I have a couple of Woodpecker's larger rules and they have performed flawlessly for many years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I recently picked up a few products from www.chipsfly.com by igaging. I picked up squares in metric and imperial, in what are equivalent to the WP delve squares and their regular squares. Checked them at work in the machine shop. Bang on square, all measurements and index points are bang on, and you can get 3-4 of them for the same price as a single item in the WP fancy red stuff.

Woodgraphic precision on Amazon. Knockoff from Korea. I really like mine.

PEC double squares for me.

If I must layout any marks longer than 6" I lean on my venerable Starret machinist square.

Longer squares I check by measuring diagonals, derived from a crisp pencil line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    I am searching for a couple good squares to add to my collection. Willing to pay for good tools that will last me forever.

I am comparing Woodpeckers and Bridge City squares.

Bridge City has a good sale going on right now. I know they are good tools but most of the time to expensive. Its a good sale which makes them attractive as far as cost.

I like some of the features of the Wood peckers squares but they are to expensive also...and not on sale right now.

Having a hard time making up my mind. Should I pay for the features I like about woodpeckers or buy the attractiveness of the Bridge City tools on sale ?

Suggestions that would sway be one way or the other ?

Or other higher quality squares that would be worth looking at ?

Thanks
    The brand doesn’t matter, the accuracy does. You should test anything you get. I have some grisly squares, they test well against each other and against my starrets. People will expound upon how to do this.

I have mulitiple woodpeckers squares. All are dead nuts on. Taylor Toolworks (Not affiliated) sells PEC cosmetic blemishes at a deep discount. I bought a couple and they are also dead on. My tools tend to get "Cosmetic Blemished" on my bench anyway.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

I have mulitiple woodpeckers squares. All are dead nuts on. Taylor Toolworks (Not affiliated) sells PEC cosmetic blemishes at a deep discount. I bought a couple and they are also dead on. My tools tend to get "Cosmetic Blemished" on my bench anyway.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Thanks for all the reply's and suggestions.
    I have a PEC 6" double square, also the 6" woodpeckers rule. so...I went ahead and ordered the woodpeckers 1282ss. I like the features it has and I think it will work well for what I need a larger square for.
    I have bought from Taylor Tool works before and will get a 12" combination square my next purchase.
    Thanks again for the help.