Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand plane storage advice

Hand plane storage advice

So I have a problem. I have many hand planes and no place to put them. They are scattered all over my bench and shelf. Most are good users. A few are for parts.

IMG_20200903_200632621.jpg

Here is the wall I would like to build a plane till for. I would like to fit my 26" transitional, no8, no7, no6, 2 no5's and 2 or 3 no 4's here. I thinking about a traditional slanted plane till design with some cubes underneath to store my 45, router plane, 78, and a future dedicated tongue and groove plane.

I can't go too deep with the till. I am thinking 6-8" maybe? I am also tossing around the idea of making a freestanding cabinet with a traditional till on top, cubbies, and then open shelving beneath for miscellaneous planes.

This is my first shop I have ever set up. Can I get some opinions from more seasoned folks on how you would store these? I know in the end I have to do what's best for me and the way I work, but I'm suffering paralysis and analysis.

IMG_20200903_200650937.jpgIMG_20200903_200640776.jpgIMG_20200903_200657556.jpg

Even a shelf (or two) across the wall would get them off of the bench and out of the way. I would probably go for the plane till if I wanted something a little more dedicated but I don't know how many planes and what size till it would take to hold all of the planes. A shelf or two could always be used for other items if you later decided to build a dedicated plane storage solution, or the shelves would be easy to take down and use the material for something else. My idea for the shelf is that it gets you past the "analysis through paralysis" stage right now and creates some working room on the bench. Shelf, plane till or freestanding tool cabinet all could be not the final answer as your shop layout develops over time as you dive deeper into woodworking.
    David

To David's point, I have mine on narrow shelves for now.
    It's hard to plan a till when I don't know how many more planes I'm going to buy.

I like that Steven, looks very nice and functional

6. Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    This is a nice setup, however, I am definitively on the open shelves / till side.
    I don’t like to open / close doors to fetch something (laziness), I don’t like them left open / ajar (psycho) and I would certainly break this glass and get angry

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    That would be perfect except knowing myself, having the smaller planes 2 deep would drive me nuts. I know for most people this isn't a problem.

I may put a glass door similar to yours on whatever I decide to build though. Much easier to wipe dust off of glass than all the books and crannies of a plane.

Thanks Steven!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I like that Steven, looks very nice and functional
    I like that he can have multiple planes in each slot. might accomplish the same thing by rotating 90 degrees.... but I like it too.

Wonder what he has in them there drawers :-)

Drawers hold spare parts, and un-used block planes. "Glass" is Plexiglass. Other than the #7s and #6s....all else is 3 planes deep...

Can be a wall hanger, or, like mine sit on a shelf.

I usually open this up, select a plane or three, and then close it back up for the day...

Blog Entries
    Per an idea in a Fine Woodworking article, I hang many of mine from paracord.

PLane Till at McLaren Garage.JPG

Easy to alter when things change.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Or...go all out...like this one from WOOD...
    wood.jpg
    Might take up a bit too much space?

That tool cabinet could definitely bring the Dungeon up to Better Homes and Gardens status Steven C. Looking forward to the build.
    David

Haven't enough room down there...so
    Shop Tour 2020, Opened for business.JPG
    Have to "re-configure" a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Per an idea in a Fine Woodworking article, I hang many of mine from paracord.

PLane Till at McLaren Garage.JPG

Easy to alter when things change.
    I kinda like this idea! But with the weight of a no 8 would that be too much stress on the knob hanging it like that though?

I'm probably overthinking it

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Or...go all out...like this one from WOOD...
    wood.jpg
    Might take up a bit too much space?
    Now that would be the cat's meow, but might take up a little too much room. Unless I put it against a different wall, but that would be kind of annoying running back and forth to the cabinet.

Hmmm