Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources for Air Dried Wood? Or Green?

Erich,
    Go to Craigslist and click on the free section. Type in wood, or firewood, or stump, or log and see what comes up. There is always green wood that people are giving away. A lot of the tree trimming companies grind the limbs but leave the chunks. It's free for the drive time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    Do not assume joining a club now is not worthwhile....
    I agree. And even if the club is not meeting in person yet there are still advantages. Our Knoxville club is still meeting by Zoom but club members do still call me and others for advice and several have driven to my farm to get wood or help with sharpening or something. (Or bring wood - someone brought me a fairly large Holly log yesterday! I'll cut it up into blanks and make it available to club members.) We are careful about distancing, wearing masks, and sanitation. The zoom meetings, while not as much fun as in-person meetings, are still useful, with information, show-and-tell, video demos from members every month and demos from professional demonstrators planned.

I'm getting ready to send out another note about available wood - I had to remove some trees and have good wood for give-away, including some cherry and apple burls, dried blanks for spindles and boxes and such, and lots of practice wood. Most clubs can provide you with training and wood resources - usually all you need to do is ask! Many keep a list of mentors on their web site, people willing to help in any way they can.

And the cost of the club membership is not much, $30 or so for a year around here.

JKJ

A small saw mill in the next town makes parts for machinery pallets. They cut wood into 3.5 x 5 pieces and then cut those to the needed 7 ft length. All the cut offs are in a pile for free. Normally red oak and sometimes yellow poplar, but a few times a year they make skids out of cherry, white oak, elm, etc. For spindle turning those pieces are great.` I cut them into square stock on the circular saw. Home owners cutting down trees or cleaning up storm damages, city/town maintenance crews, tree guys, park maintenance workers, furniture factories, etc. Electric line maintenance folks, etc. Last fall just to try it out, I bought a bundle of European Birch firewood imported from Estonia. The pieces were big enough to get some 1 inch to 2 inch round pieces out most of the segments. Wood has a way of multiplying. I have a few skids of wood stacked in the pole barn which I will probably never get to. I have 20 acres of woods. From my own property, I get black walnut, red maple, gum, black cherry, avian cherry, plum, locust, mulberry, hack berry, birch, dog wood, eastern red cedar, sycamore etc. My connections to a retired forester, has netted some catalpa and elm from President Buchanan's homestead. Some incredible straight grained fir and even a chunk of carpathian walnut.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    I'm still in the infancy of turning. (Got a lathe, got a few tools, still working on sharpening them). I'm looking to do spindles. It looks like I'm wanting to find either green wood or air dried wood to get started.

The question is, where do I find it? Lumberyards don't carry it (that I'm aware of). I'm in the suburbs of an urban area (Austin, TX).
    The only "trees" in my yard I could/would cut down are Ash Juniper (locally called cedar).

Those of you who live in cities, where do you get your wood?
    Erich, typically green lumber is not shipped due to mold and sterilization issues. Thus your best bet is to find a local sawyer where you can purchase green or air dried lumber.

The Woodmizer web site has a link to local sawyers in your area. There are several in and around Austin.

https://woodmizer.com/us/Find-a-Local-Sawyer

Craigslist can be good, but is very hit or miss. I'm frequently shocked at what some people think their downed trees are worth. There's enough other stuff to buy for turning, I don't need to be paying $25/log.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mitchell View Post
    Craigslist can be good, but is very hit or miss. I'm frequently shocked at what some people think their downed trees are worth. There's enough other stuff to buy for turning, I don't need to be paying $25/log.

When I search CL for wood/downed trees, I only search under "free". I may miss some nicely figured wood, but usually there is more than I can handle for free, especially if willing to travel 30-45 min.
    Tom