Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Delta 37-315 jointer

Blog Entries

So I got the power cord wired up yesterday and now I need to replace the belt. I've found the belt online using the part number but I was wondering if there would be any issues with purchasing a belt from an auto parts store provided it's the same size. I'd rather not wait for shipping.

go for it, I would install a segmented or link belt(red with individual links)
    at least get a high horsepower belt
    good luck
    Ron

My personal opinion is not to use automotive belts. They will work but I feel they are stiffer and will vibrate more than a belt designed to work on equipment. If in a hurry you can get a link belt. Usually you can find them locally (although maybe not at an auto parts store.

I decided against the automotive belt at your guys advice. I ended up just ordering the exact one needed on ebay. It was $25 and will be delivered by Tuesday. Thanks for the help.

I buy belts for electric motors ( not automotive) but the ones designed for machines at my local NAPA all the time. Do they not get these type belts at auto stores in the States ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I buy belts for electric motors ( not automotive) but the ones designed for machines at my local NAPA all the time. Do they not get these type belts at auto stores in the States ?
    Yup used to buy thousands of dollars of belts at local NAPA, then different guy buying belts went to another supplier

Blog Entries
    Nice score. That fence mechanism is the same as on my Grizzly clone and works great, really solid.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The knives are shot. Should I go with carbide or HSS. Anyone know where to source them?

NAPA will cross reference most any belt to one of theirs but it might be considerably different. I had to get my blades off eBay. The ones listed as OEM online were like $130 since Deltacrap stopped making parts for older machines and gold diggers on eBay are waiting in the shadows. I caught an eBay vendor listing an obsolete automotive part as new with a price 5 times too high. He said good job when I told him how I could see that it was used. Turned him in and eBay did nothing.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 09-13-2020 at 9:42 PM.

Ty I buy all my knives from my local sharpening service. They have stock that they cut to the length I need. I buy 18% tungsten or T1. These knives are way better than average high speed steel. Measure the thickness and width of your old knives and match this up. When I owned my Delta ,I used a thinner knife than the ones it had in the head when I bought it. (I am not sure what the thickness was now.) The reason I did this was when I removed the knives there was almost no space to loosen the gib screws more than half a turn.I figured that someone had substituted knives thicker than they should have been at some point.

Mike, I will check with some of the local sharpening services to see if that is something they can do. I did find a couple places online that sold them. From my research and someone earlier in the thread the knives are 3/32" thick and a few of the sellers are selling 1/8" thick. One website had new HSS knives for around $35 and carbide knives for $105, but they'd have to ship from Canada.

The knives that were too thick in my head were more that 1/8" . I know lots of these machines end up with 1/8'' thick knives in them,if you can find the 3/32" go with them. The point I was trying to make besides the size is all HSS is not created equal. The tungsten content really makes a difference in how long they stay sharp. T1 or 18% tungsten is at the top of the heap in HSS. The knives I have used from this steel easily last 2-3 times longer between sharpening than the crap knives that come in most new machines.

Ty,for a source check out Oealla saw and tool.

Hi, I am looking at picking one of these up this weekend if I win the auction. How much do you think it weighs. Can two men pick it up? we have a pickup truck. Thanks