Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Delta 37-315 jointer

Help with Delta 37-315 jointer

I've been looking for a jointer for awhile now. I've missed out on a few 6" jointers but from what I've read the 8" is better to have anyway. I found an 8" Rockwell 37-315 Jointer with made in Pittsburgh stamp with a serial number from it looks like around 1980. The jointer looks to be in decent shape from the pictures. The asking price is $500 and I wanted to get some feedback. Price seems high for the age but new 8" jointers run 1k+ easy. Any thoughts or concerns I should have.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-09-2020 at 1:06 AM.

If you havne't responed by now , it's probably already spoken for.

Why do you feel the price is high ? What other jointers can you buy for $500 ?

There are automobiles even older that aren't running and often sell for millions.

I'd say 500 is cheap, at least in my area.

I have a 6" Rockwell. I like it. I would rather have the long bed 8", mostly for the bed length.

As with buying anything used, make sure the bed isn't dished, the fence is straight, and there isn't anything broken.

Mine was gunked up pretty good. I took the beds off to get it in the basement. There were a bunch of shims in one of the ways, I have no idea why. Also, one of the knives was way too narrow. Cleaned it up, new bearings, belt, and knives. I'm happy with it.

Blog Entries
    Agreed, you may have already missed it. Being a large dovetail way jointer the main thing I look for is someone having sat their big butt on the end of the table and bent something. The leverage on those ways can be substantial if someone picked the machine up by the tables or did some other random thing. Easy enough to check out with a straight edge. At $500 there would have to be something seriously wrong with it to make it not worth it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've seen several US made Powermatic model 60s go for around a grand in New England. For $500 I would expect that it's not going to last long unless it's got a lot of wear on the dovetails.

Thanks for the replies all. I messaged the seller so I'll see what happens. I'm newer to woodworking and I'm acquiring tools as I feel I need them. I was just apprehensive due to the age. I know I shouldn't be because the older stuff was built with better materials but I fall into that mindset from time to time. I recently purchased a 90s model unisaw with biesemeyer fence and absolutely love it. I'll update if I end up snagging it. I appreciate the help.

I was able to get in touch with the seller and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow for $450. I'll post pictures after I get it home. Thank you all again.

I paid $1000 for the one I used to own. Great machine.

I paid $625 for the one I have, at a school auction in the late '70's. Others asked me why I went so high on it. I said I was getting ready to buy a new one (I was), and they were $1095 new then. It's a good jointer, if it hasn't been abused. I've never needed to adjust the flatness of mine, and it's been moved over 30 times, when I was building one new house a year for 33 years.

Glad you were able to lock it down.

It takes 3/32" thick blades. You can't tighten the gib screws if you get 1/8" blades for it, unless you find, or make, a thin wrench.

Well I picked it up today. It fired right up and appeared to run smoothly. Seems to be in great shape for the age expect for a belt and the power cord. The lady threw in a roll of newer cord and a belt that may fit though. All in all I feel it's a win.

IMG_20200904_163622.jpgIMG_20200904_163632.jpgIMG_20200904_163656.jpg

Glad you got it.

You wouldn’t have been able to get anything comparable , new for the price paid. Bonus is it’s USA made.

The power switch has obviously been replaced. Double check it when you replace the cord.

Dave thanks for the info on the switch.

I went to replace the power cord last night with the roll of cord that was thrown in. When I went to strip the ends to wire it up I realized the electrical wire was bad. I need to grab new cord.

Anything specific or just match the gauge and wiring of the old cord?

Look for type SOOW or SJOOW (power cord, with stranded conductors), with conductor gauge to match original or better (lower gauge number). Note S(J)OOW specified number of conductors includes the insulated ground (green) wire, unlike romex.

HD has it in numerous gauges, but "by the foot" purchase will likely be shipped (free) to store. They are apparently phasing out cut to length wire in their retail stores.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I have that same model jointer, still going strong and holds setting very well. Picked it up in 1977
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Thank you Andy.