Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Tool Storage Added

You've got a great bench David. It's obvious a lot of thought and experience went into it. Every time I have the chance to see it I think I spot some new thing/feature about it I hadn't noticed before!

Mike

Nice set up and really nice tools! I love the AI chisels. Who made the wooden planes, they look sweet?

Thanks.
    Kevin

Beautifully done. They look highly functional as well.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Kevin - The moulding planes are from Matt Bickford, the joinery planes are from Phil Edwards and Steve Voigt. I also have a couple of Steve's bench planes. For me, all of these planes work as advertised and were worth the wait.
    David

Thanks Zack. When can we expect the next book?
    David

Thanks to you Erich and Mike. Come by and see/try out anything you want to. Have you noticed that we have fallen off of the 189* weather the last few days? I may actually start back doing a little work in the shop besides just opening it up and sweating.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Kevin - The moulding planes are from Matt Bickford, the joinery planes are from Phil Edwards and Steve Voigt. I also have a couple of Steve's bench planes. For me, all of these planes work as advertised and were worth the wait.

David,

I couldn't agree more all three makers make wonderful planes and are mainstays in my shop.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    David,

I couldn't agree more all three makers make wonderful planes and are mainstays in my shop.

ken
    i don’t own any of Matt’s planes yet (one day!), but I have a few of Steve’s and they are just as good as they get. Also have a few from Jeremiah Wilding who makes excellent planes. And they are both great guys, so that makes it all even better!

Thanks.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Thanks to you Erich and Mike. Come by and see/try out anything you want to. Have you noticed that we have fallen off of the 189* weather the last few days? I may actually start back doing a little work in the shop besides just opening it up and sweating.
    A get together at some point would be nice. Yes, the rain brought some cooler weather. Unfortunately last weekend we tried to escape the heat by camping in New Mexico. Then, two days before we left we discovered that NM is the only Southern state with a quarantine and state parks are closed to non-residents. We quickly looked for something else, and found a nice national park camping area in the Ozarks in Arkansas.

The weather forecast was originally decent, some rain 3 days of the 7 day trip. After we arrived, this just kept getting worse. We packed up after 20 straight hours of hard rain and thunderstoms and headed home. I think I got a cold (or perhaps the Corona). Lots of napping during the remainder of my vacation. Back to work on Tuesday. Oh -well.

I do lots of camping (pre coronavirus anyway) and the closest place I know that I can sleep in a tent without sweating in the summertime is Lincoln Natl Forest in the Cloudcroft NM area. You can camp up around 8,000 - 8,500 ft elevation and you better bring a blanket. Or, you can drive more northwest and camp at the bottom end of the Natl Forest located immediately to the east of Santa Fe. Same thing, elevation to beat the heat. Both drives are in the 11 hr range without making many non-fuel, etc stops. Both those places are familiar stops for me whole en route further west to Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

A place just a little farther west is Alpine, AZ. The Alpine valley is 8000' or so and it is near the northwest corner of New Mexico and the East end of the White Mountains. It is a beautiful place but just a little hard to get to.

ken

I sure wish Toyota would bring that vehicle back. Maybe they will with the Ford Bronco out again.

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Adams; 09-06-2020 at 8:42 PM.

I have camped in the Gila forest and driven through Alpine, but never stayed there. That whole area is a nice drive. I have done Gila a couple of times already, so maybe it is time for Alpine Ken.

Kevin - I have been well pleased with my FJC for my desert/canyon/mountain/forest road camping trip drives. It has been a very, very trouble free vehicle and I have not taken it anywhere it could not go through. I do not claim to be dare devil-death defying rock climber of the Moab ilk, but it gets me where I go. I drove full sized pickup for forty years or so and I am enjoying the smaller, nimbler, easier to park size.
    David

We were going to stay at Jemez Falls, NM. Friend has been there before and was chosen for the elevation/temperatures. It originally looked like the Ozarks would be about 10-15 degrees cooler than Austin, but other than when it was raining it was more like 5-10 degrees. With the high humidity, it wasn't comfortable. There was 1.5 nice days though. Enjoyed those days at least. (Even if still pretty humid). It was nice to be in a real forest again.

David, What is that trailer thingie?