Thread: How to use a Stanley #50

Blog Entries

How to use a Stanley #50

I finally located the Stanley #50 that went with the set of irons I inherited from my Father. I believe it came from his father who was a carpenter. As far as I can tell all the adjustable parts are present and free to move. The plating is worn away in a couple of places and there are some nicks in the one side of the V-guides.
    IMG_0721.jpgIMG_0724.jpgIMG_0722.jpg
    I played with it a little bit, and made a small bead on a piece of poplar with the one iron that has been cleaned up. It seems to be moderately sharp.

I have a selection of flat and radius irons. I also have a tongue bit for making tongue and groove joints.
    IMG_0725.jpg
    I'm looking for a set of instructions on how to use the plane and make use of the various adjustments. I am also wondering what the round device in this photo is for. It appears to be height and rotation adjustable.
    IMG_0723.jpg
    Anyone have a good tutorial on how to use and adjust this tool?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here's a start for you.
    There are links to the manual on this page ...

http://www.hansbrunnertools.com/Stanley%20by%20numbers/Stanley%2050.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I finally located the Stanley #50 that went with the set of irons I inherited from my Father. I believe it came from his father who was a carpenter. As far as I can tell all the adjustable parts are present and free to move. The plating is worn away in a couple of places and there are some nicks in the one side of the V-guides.
    IMG_0721.jpgIMG_0724.jpgIMG_0722.jpg
    I played with it a little bit, and made a small bead on a piece of poplar with the one iron that has been cleaned up. It seems to be moderately sharp.

I have a selection of flat and radius irons. I also have a tongue bit for making tongue and groove joints.
    IMG_0725.jpg
    I'm looking for a set of instructions on how to use the plane and make use of the various adjustments. I am also wondering what the round device in this photo is for. It appears to be height and rotation adjustable.
    IMG_0723.jpg
    Anyone have a good tutorial on how to use and adjust this tool?
    That round device is what is left of a depth stop....just like on a Stanley #45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gillard View Post
    Here's a start for you.
    There are links to the manual on this page ...

http://www.hansbrunnertools.com/Stanley%20by%20numbers/Stanley%2050.htm
    Thanks, It appears that mine is an earlier model because the irons don't have the adjustment grooves and my plane doesn't have the cutter adjustment lever nore cutter locking screw and there are no holes where they would go. Also there is only one nicker location.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    That round device is what is left of a depth stop....just like on a Stanley #45.
    The manual at the link says it is a shaving deflector. The depth stop is on the other side. Upon further inspection the depth stop is mounted in the wrong place. They make more sense when they are exchanged from where they appear in my photos.

Now I need to locate various sizes of slip stones to sharpen the curved cutters.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 09-02-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Lee,

If you have them laying around, sandpaper and various sized dowel rods work well too for the bead cutters.