Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new addition to the shop (metal working shop, that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    What kind of surface finish are you getting? Reminds me of my lust for a Mori Seiki 16x50 a few years back but just too large for my 3 car garage. Opted for a Grizzly 12x36 what a mistake that was. Love the lathe and you giving it a 2nd life bravo!
    It's leaving a nice surface finish. I did some work recently with a tool post grinder and the results were great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Looks like it cleaned up very nicely. Have you got a good feel for it's "tightness" yet? Looks like an appropriate sized chuck on it. When I was in machine shop class in school we had several South Bend belt drive lathes. Complete with back gear reduction for low RPM work. Gear head is hard to beat. That should give you a lot of capabilities. Look forward to updates.

Most of it is fairly tight, but there is some wear on the ways that causes the tool holder to move a couple of thousands closer to the center of the lathe in the first couple of inches from the chuck. My solution is to machine a spacer to mount between the camlock plate the the chuck, and simply move the chuck a few inches towards the tailstock.

I'm reasoning that because the lathe was designed for a 200 lb chuck, if I space a 90 lb chuck a few inches further away from the spindle bearings I should still be ok in terms of the leverage on the spindle.