Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: I must be OLD! I HATE the Metric System!!

[QUOTE=Mike Henderson;3099338]People say that but, of course, our names come from our countries and not our continent. For Canada, it Canadians. For the United States of America it's Americans.

Thanks ,Mike . That was just an allusion to something Lee said at Civil War Surrender. There was an American Indian yankee there who was
    an officer. Lee must have stared at him. Guy said he was an Indian. Lee said something like “I’m glad to see a real American here”.
    Guy replied “General Lee, we are all Americans”. Now....why I originally posted that ....is something I DON’T know !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Fir me the issue isn’t conceptual, but physical. I can read 1/16th” increments on imperial rules, which is as small as I usually need. But I have a devil of a time discerning 10ths of millimeters on a metric scale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I would expect so. A 10th of a millimeter is a LOT smaller than 1/16". In decimal inches, 1/16 is 0.0625", while a 10th of a millimeter is about 0.003937".

Mike
    Most metric scales do not have markings for 10ths of a millimeter. Jon may have meant a 10th of a centimeter.

As a side note when my measuring changed from trying to work to 1/32" to 1/16" and 1/8" my work improved. Finally switching to a story stick and comparing parts to each other my work improved more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

With ‘mercan tape measures you can choose between having 64ths or ....not. With metric the teeny millimeters are just a grey line
    to anyone who forgot their glasses , that makes them useless for measuring. Metric is ok .....just not thought out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    With ‘mercan tape measures you can choose between having 64ths or ....not. With metric the teeny millimeters are just a grey line
    to anyone who forgot their glasses , that makes them useless for measuring. Metric is ok .....just not thought out well.
    You're joking I trust.

Not joking , and some USA organizations send old eye glasses to be used in other countries . The need would be less
    with BIGGER MARKS on tape measures.

I should have said bigger spaces.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-16-2021 at 8:41 PM. Reason: To be accurate

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    You're joking I trust.
    He sez funny things, just not intentionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    People say that but, of course, our names come from our countries and not our continent. For Canada, it Canadians. For the United States of America it's Americans.

Mike
    I'm originally European. So, I guess.. whatever.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    You're joking I trust.
    There's a whole lot of irony in his statement. Likely unintentional.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Not joking , and some USA organizations send old eye glasses to be used in other countries . The need would be less
    with BIGGER MARKS on tape measures.

I should have said bigger spaces.
    Poverty has very little to do with their measurement devices.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Well, I’m lost. Didn’t say anything about poverty. It was about seeing . We have had posts saying 64ths are hard to see that were followed
    by “me too” posts. Why should pointing out the real problems with metric be off limits?

Well, I’m lost. Didn’t say anything about poverty. It was about seeing . We have had posts saying 64ths are hard to see that were followed
    by “me too” posts. Why should pointing out the real problems with metric be off limits?
    So, then you just don't understand why glasses are sent to poorer countries for dissemination to the poor. Ok.

You need some readers man.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Most metric scales do not have markings for 10ths of a millimeter. Jon may have meant a 10th of a centimeter.

As a side note when my measuring changed from trying to work to 1/32" to 1/16" and 1/8" my work improved. Finally switching to a story stick and comparing parts to each other my work improved more.

jtk
    Thank you Jim. My point was the typical smallest units on most of my imperial rules I can see, if I squint. Not true for the smallest ones on my metric rules where the lines all seem to run together.

I should stop posting while at work.

[QUOTE=Jon Snider;3099610]Thank you Jim. My point was the typical smallest units on most of my imperial rules I can see, if I squint. Not true for the smallest ones on my metric rules where the lines all seem to run together.
    Yes, that’s the point I was making....it’s not a good system,too gimmicky. I think it’s mainly for making accurate scale models. And what’s
    that “kill-ometer “ about ? Who does that much killin’ ?

1/16" = 1,5875mm... which may just be whre things go from clear to blurry...... I too need glasses for millimeters....
    I don't think I've ever seen a ruler or the likes, with markings to 0.1mm... It just not useful at all.......
    Otherwise - we're quite some millions around getting along just fine with our millimeters....... It all comes down to what we're used to...

I just checked some of the metric rules I have in my shop. They have graduations to a half millimeter on one side (not face) of the rule and to 1 millimeter on the other side. I can read the half millimeter graduations quite easily. I don't measure to that level of accuracy but I can see the markings.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.