Thread: Router set up help needed

Router set up help needed

The router isn't my best tool.
    A cracked foundation ruined half my floor. My sawyer has a molding machine and made 640lf of T&G flooring. It's not an exact match but it wasn't worth getting new knives. The main difference is the old flooring has a 1/8" roundover. The roundover gives the floor a rustic look and it's perfect for collecting dust, crumbs and dog hair. I can ease the edge with a 1/8" roundover bit on the groove side. On the tongue side I can't think of anything. I have a Veritas cornering tool but that's a lot of production for a little tool. Any ideas? Besides ripping out the other half of the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I assume the problem with the tongue side is that you can't use a bit with a bearing.

If my assumption is correct, cut a couple of thin strips and stick them on either side of the router bit on the base plate of your router. You can use double;e side tape for this. This gives you a fence to run along your edge.

Or build a temporary base plate with this mini fence on it. If you go this method, it will give you more flexibility to adjusting the fence position to get the router bit to the correct position.

Just a thought.

Or, take the bearing off and use a router table.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I'd rip the other half out.

I think the least of your problems is you profile. The misamtched color and sheen will be spotted mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I'd rip the other half out.

I think the least of your problems is you profile. The misamtched color and sheen will be spotted mile away.
    I just happened to have 500bdft tulip poplar drying when this went down. After I install the new wood I'll and and refinish the entire floor.

I

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Or, take the bearing off and use a router table.
    I found a roundover bit with a removable bearing. I'll set up the router table today

Or, you can buy a router bit with a flooring profile for routing tongues or grooves along a square edge. If it already has a tongue, it will simply rout the top corner profile, square or vee, and leave the tongue untouched.