Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Down-the-line Covid exposure contact tracing--

LG is also making a powered assist facemask, seems the press relase is not clear as if it filters exhaled breath.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020...ng-effortless/

Contacts of contacts generally don’t need to be quarantined. Depending though on whether the contact has symptoms. So 3, 4, and 5 wouldn’t need to quarantine assuming 2 doesn't have any symptoms. Your local health department should be the one to ask though.

I finally found some basic answers to my basic questions on WebMD of all places

What they state:

an infected person will usually show symptoms at 5 days after infection--

an infected person can infect others (shed) 2-3 days before symptoms show.

Ergo, that leaves a 2-3 day 'grace period'; if a person contacts someone who's contact date was less than 2-3 days prior, that person's chances of infection are slim to none...

In my 'chain', #2 is the one most probable to get infected since #1 was likely shedding. #'s 3 thru 7 all made contacts on the next day...

So I'm hoping...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post

There's still a national shortage of N95's so I will leave them for folks on the front lines for now.
    The N95 is approved for medical use in the USA. You can't buy them in the USA when I search. They're fairly rigid and must be properly fitted to ones face size.
    The KN95 has the same filtering ability, costs about $2. You can buy them online. They are approved for medical use all over the world but not in the USA. Similar to surgical masts in comfort but tests show the KN95 to beat surgical masks in protecting the wearer.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I can't quite fathom why we haven't embraced two bits of technology that could have brought this to a halt by now, one an antigen-based rapid diagnostic test that every person in the country could be taking every day they need to leave the house (based on other RDTs should cost about dollar each or so to make), and, two, a $50 powered respirator (put up a billion dollar prize for its development and deployment) for those who find masks too uncomfortable, distributed free to everyone who needs one. Even if each measure is only 80% effective on its own, combined with reasonable social distancing and hygiene the three combined would give a 99% reduction in transmission. Even if each is only 50% effective it would reduce transmission by nearly 90%, which should do the trick. Yes it would cost a few tens or even hundreds of billions to implement and inconvenience some people; what we are (not) doing now is costing trillions and being incredibly destructive.
    Don't you think if a $1 test was possible, profitable, and could be sold by the tens or hundreds of millions per day that someone would be making such a test?

I doubt anyone who finds a mask uncomfortable would find a powered respirator to be any better. If they aren't going to wear a simple mask could you see them wearing a bulky respirator?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Don't you think if a $1 test was possible, profitable, and could be sold by the tens or hundreds of millions per day that someone would be making such a test?

I doubt anyone who finds a mask uncomfortable would find a powered respirator to be any better. If they aren't going to wear a simple mask could you see them wearing a bulky respirator?
    Many such tests are made and sold for a wide variety of purposes, the pregnancy test being the one most people are likely to have seen in person. Such tests for COVID are wending their way to market; they could have been there long since had they been prioritized and funded they way the vaccine development is with purchase commitments and such. Abbott is about to launch such a test, for example. Unfortunately FDA is currently requiring that it be administered by a "qualified medical professional" meaning that the delivered cost is going to be in the $100+ realm with all the usual hassles of doctors office visits and different insurance companies not paying for it and such. Abbot and others are certainly going to be pricing them using the "all the market will bear" philosophy currently in fashion in the drug industry. This is not a recipe for getting 50 million tests a day run over a couple of months to get this under control. I've worked with teams deploying such tests for other diseases in resource challenged countries; a couple bucks is a reasonable actual cost to deploy such an assay at modest scale; $1 I'd think is very possible when you start talking the scale of a billion tests-- for actual cost that is, not selling price. Hence the need to engage in some WWII style manufacturing and distribution prioritization.

As to masks and PAPRs, I find a world of difference between a tight fitting mask that resists breathing and fogs your glasses like the ones I use when painting and the PAPR I use when turning. I don't think I'm alone in that. Personally I'd opt for the convenience of a simple mask, others apparently find them sufficiently intolerable that they're willing to go out and infect other people rather than wear them. Just trying to think of a better way to address the objections I've heard. YMMV.

As far as the contact tracing goes, my daughter was called by our Wayne County tracers. She was told that she should start a 14 day quarantine since she had been in contact with someone who had been diagnosed with The Covid.

Problem is that we knew who it was that had been diagnosed. My daughter was called and told to start the quarantine 3 weeks after she had seen the person.

Somehow barn doors, open status and horses come to mind.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    As far as the contact tracing goes, my daughter was called by our Wayne County tracers. She was told that she should start a 14 day quarantine since she had been in contact with someone who had been diagnosed with The Covid.

Problem is that we knew who it was that had been diagnosed. My daughter was called and told to start the quarantine 3 weeks after she had seen the person.

Somehow barn doors, open status and horses come to mind.

-Tom
    I have a friend who is a contact tracer. There are several things that come to mind.

• There are not enough of them (not enough have even been hired in most areas)
    • People refuse to talk to them
    • People have abused them verbally, rather than answer questions
    • People believe their rights are being violated by contract tracing

So, it's the general public that mostly puts the horses out.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

You can google-up KN95 vs N95 and see the difference. KN95 is the Chinese standard, and I've seen masks labeled KN95 all over, including my local Ace hardware. N95 is the US NIOSH standard, even if the mask is made in China (which most are). I would use whichever you can find. I've used N95s in previous jobs and in the workshop. There are many brands of N95s, and the design, fit and finish are all different. Nothing high tech or foolproof about them, and most untrained people don't wear them right anyway. Not sure there are any that will fit right over beards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Simple question and simple answer: They become contagious if and when the virus infects them. The incubation period for COVID-19 is 2-14 days, more or less.
    I heard from a infectious diseases Dr. at the Cleveland Clinic that current thinking is that people are most contagious 3-6 days after becoming infected. I have no idea how correct that is.

Something I found interesting after talking to my infection control department.... According to the CDC guidelines you're only considered to be in contact if you're within 6 ft of a person for 15 minutes. No one ever mentions the 15 minute part.

My hospital has given up on contact tracing. They have gone to a "if you have symptoms then leave and don't come back until you're symptom free for 24 hours." About 4 weeks ago my boss had a 1 on 1 annual evaluation with us on Thursday because he was due to have knee surgery the next day on Friday. Thursday night he got a call his covid test came back positive and his surgery was canceled. He emailed his staff and everyone all the way up to the VP updating them.
    Wouldn't you know Friday no one even bothered to check on us or tell his what we should do. It would have meant the whole department would be closed while we self quarantined. We just kept working. Later the next week we were informed that is long as you're not showing symptoms then just keep working.

He never had any symptoms or got sick. I was sure he had a false positive but his wife tested positive also and never had symptoms or got sick and none of his staff got sick either.
    None of it makes sense to me anymore.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

The reason it keeps spreading is that non-symptomatic people can spread it. The part about not having symptoms, and keeping working/doing whatever you've been doing, is the reason it keeps spreading. Having the symptoms means you have it worse than most who get it, but since most people who have symptoms are staying to themselves, the non-symptomatic people keep spreading it. Some will continue to get it worse than others.

Since the CDC is now being influenced by politics, you can mostly not bother to hang your hat on what they say.

I think it's hard to tell how much politics. Some of the non political science people ....are certainly changing as they get
    more used to being on TV. Dr. Fauci is starting to remind me of Milton Berle. But I'm confident he knows more about
    plagues than Milton Berle did. But he's not as funny .
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 09-04-2020 at 1:08 AM.

So Wednesday I found out the chain was actually 2 persons shorter than we all thought, which didn't help the nerves any...
    But the BIL just called, first words were: "See ya at work Tuesday!!"--

-Grandson came back NEGATIVE-

That's a load off!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    Something I found interesting after talking to my infection control department.... According to the CDC guidelines you're only considered to be in contact if you're within 6 ft of a person for 15 minutes. No one ever mentions the 15 minute part.
    None of it makes sense to me anymore.
    I suspect that's a rather arbitrary cutoff to prevent the contact tree from exploding exponentially.

Think of "contact" as the volume of air potentially shared with the other person: "time divided by distance" pretty much determines that, with some unknown multipliers for being inside vs outside, airflow direction etc. If you can do longer distance, good. If you can do shorter time, good. If you can do both, even better.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.