Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Subpanel + 220v outlet + 110v outlet = $3600

If it was that easy maybe you should have done it yourself. Lol. As it’s been said, the $3600 guy didn't want the job, but would have done it for $3600 because of all the profit.

I did mine and I wouldn’t call it easy with all the research I had to do, but I suppose for an electrician it is pretty easy.

Glad you got it done for a much more reasonable price.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 09-11-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Using a panel as a junction box or wireway is something that is generally forbidden, but there are exceptions. Check with your local AHJ. But in this case there's no need to be splicing in the panel. Putting in a sub-panel is cheap & will be the best solution.

Actually it is allowed by the NEC, there are limits but can be done, only forbidden in the Urban Legend Code.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-14-2020 at 8:32 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    Finally got this taken care of! About $650. Added in a tandem outlet and my jointer is up and running. The only weird thing is the 110v dedicated he installed is tripping the breaker pretty quickly whether i plug in my table saw or dust collector. I think the outlet he used must be bad. Got him coming back out soon. The 240v works perfect.

I really am going to reevaluate my career options should anything ever happen to my current job. I am in the wrong line of work if these guys could get $3600 for doing a easy subpanel.
    Great. Glad you got it going.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Actually it is allowed by the NEC, there are limits but can be done, only forbidden in the Urban Legend Code.
    But not everyone that belongs to this forum lives where the NEC is followed.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 09-14-2020 at 11:02 AM.

I’d like to know how the electrician handled this. The only way I can see this working with the current condition of the house panel, is to move at least one of the 240 amp breakers to a new subpanel. If a tool is tripping a breaker, I doubt the outlet is bad. Did he install a sub panel?

Dan

Arc fault breaker? If so, I'd bet money there are shared neutrals in that system.

I can see why he was higher than a basic aux panel and a few outlets because the way you described what the 2nd guy is doing is probably what he was going to do. It’s not 3600 worth. Many trades guys are poor communicators so that may have been part of it.
    I want to see clear pictures of the completed job to see how he got the 120v wires over to the new panel and to see if the neutral is floating properly from ground. I inspected residential electrical for 13 years as part of home inspections. I actually removed panel covers and did a thorough job. Hope he didn’t put 240 on your 120...
    Also the cable feeding the new panel must be 4 wire unless metal conduit is properly used then it can be 3 wire.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 09-16-2020 at 6:25 PM.