Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Subpanel + 220v outlet + 110v outlet = $3600

Not on branch circuits. It's fine for service entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    I didn't think aluminum wiring was permitted under electrical code anymore.
    Aluminum is common for larger wire gauges; anything bigger than #2 or 3 is likely to be aluminum due to cost. As long as it's correctly terminated it works fine and is certainly within code.

I would ask around. Often you can find an electrician that works for a company that will do side jobs for much cheaper. They most likely would let you buy the parts, mount the boxes and run the wired from the sub panel to the outlets. They would just wire up the outlets, install the breakers, and wire them up. The only exception might be the wire between the main panel and sub panel. If the two boxes are going to be connected by conduit then that should be done by someone who feels safe being in the main panel. That would need to be done before installing the sub panel. It's possible someone you know knows an electrician willing to do this.

Blog Entries
    Not really a residential guy, but we've done a few service upgrades from 60A to 100A, which includes new panel, breakers, meter socket & service mast, and extending existing wiring to the new panel. None of them came close to $3500. The highest was probably around $3000. This is in Canada, where everything costs more.

So when someone quotes you a price like that, it's not just "I don't really want the job", but more of an "FU buddy, let's see if you're stupid enough to have me do the work"

I paid $1200 three summers ago for a 60 amp sub panel in the garage, as far from the main panel as one can get on the property. Electrician did the panel, all copper wires, and whole house surge protection in that price. $3k is outrageous.

I have done a few subpanel installations (where I am in CT you are allowed to do your own electrical work, as long has you have it inspected), and its not all that difficult. If you have no experience at all with electrical work, this may not be the best option. If, on the other hand you are willing to do the upfront homework, it is doable. It might be even better if you could find a friend or friend of a friend who knows his stuff that can supervise the undertaking. It might cost you the price of the hardware, a bottle of JD and a box of cigars: far less than what you were quoted.

Blog Entries
    Sanity check. I'm in SoCal and was quoted not much more than that and it includes 100 feet of 24" deep trench, conduits, sweeps and bollards.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    Getting quotes to do a subpanel in my garage since my 200amp panel is full. It can be installed right next to the existing panel and drop the outlets right below the subpanel. Just got a quote for $3600. This seems insanely high to me. That was even taking into account that I take care of cutting and replacing the drywall around it. This seriously cannot be more than 5 hours of work with $500 in material. Does this seem high to anyone else?
    Yikes. That's one reason I do all my own electrical work. When I built my shop I did pay a guy to disconnect my 7200v transformer and switch out a meter base for a breaker box base (so I could put in underground power to the shop) but that was the only time in my life I've paid someone to do electrical work - I think he charged me about $200 plus materials.

If in your situation I would get some other estimates. The idea to install the panel yourself and let an electrician stick to the wiring sounds good. Also, have you checked swapping out a couple 110v breakers for double breakers to free up some space in the existing panel? (May not be allowed in your area.)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Also, have you checked swapping out a couple 110v breakers for double breakers to free up some space in the existing panel? (May not be allowed in your area.)
    That's a good idea - the double-switch breakers that take up a single slot aren't very expensive. If all you need is a new 120 and a single 240 circuit, that might be your easiest solution.

There has to be more than 1 electrician in OK!
    Call around, ask neighbors, no way would I pay that.
    I had underground elec. brought into my barn from yard pole ~70 ft. of wire.
    One company wanted $1400!!! Hired another, local guy, and paid him $465 (cash).

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Add in an hour or two waiting around for the inspector.
    Regards,

Tom

Do it yourself. It’s is super simple once you do your research and understand the basics with residential single phase power. I would get a SquareD Homeline box because you can find the breakers anywhere and they are cheap.

Blog Entries
    This is why you should always get three bids unless you have prior good experience with a contractor or you are happy with the first.
    NOW you tell me...

Say "thanks" then "goodbye".

I had an entire new 200A service w/long panel run to my shop, underground & 180' from power pole for just under $5K.

It is pretty simple to do, but not something for beginners. If you do it yourself, just be sure you've got the grounds and neutrals tied in correctly.

I am actually in Seattle now...updated my location. I had another electrician out and he said I could just do more tandem outlets to free space, but I may do the subpanel anyway. I do not know why they added so many breakers to this house, its only 1200 sq ft. I think his pricing is going to be much more reasonable, waiting on a quote. If it comes back too much I will just do it myself. I have done enough research now, i feel pretty comfortable doing it. Plus the city is pretty quick to do inspections and they are only around $100 I found out.