Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sending back a Knew Concepts saw

sending back a Knew Concepts saw

Part of it is my fault, but not all. I've never had any trouble using a normal coping saw, or jeweler's saw, but decided I'd get one of these. I ordered a 5" Mk IV off of Amazon.

The my fault part is that I didn't look close enough to see that they made ones that the blades didn't turn. Not having ever used either a coping saw, or jewelers saw that didn't allow multiple positions of the blade, I didn't give any thought to it. The one I got only allows the blade to face in line with the frame. Now, I've been using regular ones for at least 46 years, but I can't remember a single time using one with the blade in line with the frame.

One that only allows the blade to be in line with the frame is useless to me. I can't think of any reason to own one.

But that is not the only problem. It came in an Amazon box, with just a little brown paper around it. It was in a ziplock bag, but the bag wasn't large enough to also enclose the handle. Not that either of those mattered, if it arrived here okay, but it didn't. The blade was broken. Now, I wouldn't worry about a single jewelers saw blade getting broken, but the end is broken off in one of the blade holders, that doesn't turn, and I couldn't get it out without resorting to using some tools that I didn't have right there. The broken end is still in there.

I emailed Knew Concepts, and did get an automated response (this was all last week), but haven't heard anything back from them.

I have until Sept. 18 to return it to Amazon, which I think I'll do. Still haven't used one of these. The handle is worse than the stock Disston handle on my oldest coping saw, but that doesn't bother me much.

So, another $25 to be able to turn the blade? BTW, I agree having a blade in alignment with a coping/fret saw renders it pretty useless.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Amazon Returns shouldn't give you any trouble about it. It is always a sort of "stop the world" moment when we run into something that is very familiar but, just plain different than expected. I wonder what people who cope use a fixed blade frame for?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I wonder what people who cope use a fixed blade frame for?
    All kinds of things. Before the KnewConcepts saw only one of my fret saws had an ability to rotate the blade:

Fret Saws.jpg

My KnewConcepts saw was purchased before the introduction of their saw with a full 360º rotation:

Fret Saw Bird's Mouth.jpg

My purchase would have been put on hold if it was known they were coming out with a better version, even at a higher price.

BTW, what many have done when they need a blade at right angles to the frame is to give the blade a twist with a couple pairs of pliers.

That is one reason for having more than one frame.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, I'd return it if I were you. If nothing else, that packing is unacceptable.

About 5 months ago I ordered the 5" directly from Knew Concepts. It arrived well packed in a box. I did get the swivel model, but haven't needed it yet. I do smaller dovetail boxes, so the reach is enough with the blade aligned to the frame.

It's been a game changer for me. They're not cheap, so you should expect more than what you recieved.

And I agree, the handle is poor. Especially compared to the quality of the rest of the saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Part of it is my fault, but not all. I've never had any trouble using a normal coping saw, or jeweler's saw, but decided I'd get one of these. I ordered a 5" Mk IV off of Amazon.

The my fault part is that I didn't look close enough to see that they made ones that the blades didn't turn. Not having ever used either a coping saw, or jewelers saw that didn't allow multiple positions of the blade, I didn't give any thought to it. The one I got only allows the blade to face in line with the frame. Now, I've been using regular ones for at least 46 years, but I can't remember a single time using one with the blade in line with the frame.

One that only allows the blade to be in line with the frame is useless to me. I can't think of any reason to own one.

But that is not the only problem. It came in an Amazon box, with just a little brown paper around it. It was in a ziplock bag, but the bag wasn't large enough to also enclose the handle. Not that either of those mattered, if it arrived here okay, but it didn't. The blade was broken. Now, I wouldn't worry about a single jewelers saw blade getting broken, but the end is broken off in one of the blade holders, that doesn't turn, and I couldn't get it out without resorting to using some tools that I didn't have right there. The broken end is still in there.

I emailed Knew Concepts, and did get an automated response (this was all last week), but haven't heard anything back from them.

I have until Sept. 18 to return it to Amazon, which I think I'll do. Still haven't used one of these. The handle is worse than the stock Disston handle on my oldest coping saw, but that doesn't bother me much.
    Tom, I really wonder why they sell the fixed blade model? It seems so far from what is not only available but what most prefer! I worked with Lee Marshall to design the fretsaw for woodworkers. It was actually my initiative that started the ball rolling, but Lee’s creativity and enthusiasm that drove it along. The story is here ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tsFretsaw.html

The later, birdcage version, is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...geFretsaw.html

These are the fretsaws. The coping saw is in the middle, below ...

My favourite fretsaw, in Titanium, with my custom handle ...

Here is a video of the fretsaw removing dovetail waste - how to use it for accuracy ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M6O4rY_0zQs

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    And I agree, the handle is poor. Especially compared to the quality of the rest of the saw.
    It's not too difficult to change the handle as long as you have a lathe to make a new one. Here's what I did to put a new handle on one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I think I'll return it, and order one direct. I wouldn't be surprised if this one has not already been returned once, considering the small ziplock bag packaging.

I don't have the time to make another handle, even though I have the stuff to do it with. If I'm working, someone is paying me, and I don't expect them to pay me to work on my tools. Normal stuff, yes, but not things like making a more comfortable tool handle. This handle seems to be for a person with small hands. Even the old, cheap ones fill my hand.

Honestly, both of the Knew Concepts saws I have came in those zip-lock bags. The bit of broken blade should come out easily. In general, they design and make great saws. You unfortunately bought the wrong one for the application. Since you are reordering, I recommend the heavier saw with the red epoxy finish rather than the original saw with the anodized finish. The beefier saw works better for woodworking; and I have used both extensively.

It is true that a coping saw that allows the blade to turn is most convenient, but the others can be used as well. To use them you don't leave the blade facing forward, but twist the blade at each end before tightening it fully, often by about 45 degrees.

If you need a turning saw a much better option than either a fret or coping saw no matter who makes it is the the TFWW Gramercy Tools 12" Bow Saw. The blade is very narrow, narrow enough to fit in a Japanese pull saw kerf unlike a coping saw blade but will not break like a fret saw blade. Because the blade is 12" long each stroke will remove more than a 6" or even 8" coping saw. It may not be as "space age" as the Knew Concepts saw and it does cost almost as much but it is also a better saw for the job of removing dovetail waste.

BTW, I have both Knew Concepts saws and the Gramercy 12" bow saw as well as the usual assortment of other makes of coping and fret saws hanging on my shop cabinet, the only one used is the Gramercy.

As always YMMV,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    It's not too difficult to change the handle as long as you have a lathe to make a new one. Here's what I did to put a new handle on one.

Mike
    Dumb question, but what if you don't have a lathe. Is that handle a standard size?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    ...I recommend the heavier saw with the red epoxy finish...
    Red was an extremely unfortunate choice for Knew Concepts. The original silver color was elegant. What were they thinking?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Dumb question, but what if you don't have a lathe. Is that handle a standard size?
    The idea, I suppose, is to replace the handle with one that better fits your hand. I don't know where you could purchase a handle that would work for the saw - I think you'd need to turn one to your specifications.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Red was an extremely unfortunate choice for Knew Concepts. The original silver color was elegant. What were they thinking?
    I have a couple of the saws and don't mind the red color. But I'm not very color oriented. I'd probably be equally satisfied with just about any color.

Mike