Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot Stanley

Unhappy Home Depot Stanley

Stanley Plane Problems
    I just bought a relatively Inexpensive Home Depot Stanley Jack Plane. It was $70. They called it their Contractors model. I sharpened it well, adjusted the throat, and smoothed the edge on the chip breaker, (no light showing). Put it all together, and the nightmare began. Initially, it cut nice for one or two passes, but then something got under the chip breaker and opened it a little. After that it was "Katy bar the door". It would load up with shavings. I tried honing the chip breaker numerous times, until it was dead flat, and then moving it forward closer to the edge, moving it further from the edge. I have made the throat larger, made the throat smaller. It just seem like there is not enough tension to keep super thin chips out. I have various other planes that are in the process of restoration, but I needed one Now. I thought I would buy this cheapy and tune it up, but I am doing something wrong. I am desperate for any ideas.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Goodwin Heil View Post
    Stanley Plane Problems
    I just bought a relatively Inexpensive Home Depot Stanley Jack Plane. It was $70. They called it their Contractors model. I sharpened it well, adjusted the throat, and smoothed the edge on the chip breaker, (no light showing). Put it all together, and the nightmare began. Initially, it cut nice for one or two passes, but then something got under the chip breaker and opened it a little. After that it was "Katy bar the door". It would load up with shavings. I tried honing the chip breaker numerous times, until it was dead flat, and then moving it forward closer to the edge, moving it further from the edge. I have made the throat larger, made the throat smaller. It just seem like there is not enough tension to keep super thin chips out. I have various other planes that are in the process of restoration, but I needed one Now. I thought I would buy this cheapy and tune it up, but I am doing something wrong. I am desperate for any ideas.
    I would presume that when you close the lever cap, the chip breaker springs open a little bit at the edge, like a ">". This is common on low quality chip breaker: as the metal is too soft/springy, we tend to over-tension the lever cap, and thus deforming the chip breaker further.

One way to remedy this issue is to grind the chip breaker lip with the tail hanging out off the stone. What you are aiming for is the blade and chip breaker tips to meet as an acute "<", not matching perfectly as a "=".

In my experience:

1. Today’s big buck store hand planes quality is bad, from soft iron to banana construction. Nothing good ever comes out trying to tune them up.
    2. Fitting the chip breaker to the blade means it’s sharpened and polished to a 45-80° bevel, convex or not, meeting the blade with an acute angle, say 5°, so that when pressed by the lever cap, it would no spring open.
    3. Testing tightness is easier with feeler gauges than trying to see through.
    4. The chip breaker can be set very close (less than a millimeter) when smoothing hardwood (shaving will not be strong enough to force their way in) and set further away (more than a millimeter) when used as a scrub (in which case the strong shavings will be too thick for force their way.

I would guess 'return' is the right answer.

I appreciate the in depth reply and I will try to further refine the chip breaker so it establishes a < shape.
    As far as returning it, if only I could. After the steps I have taken trying toseal the chip breaker tighter I do not believe it is returnable.

[QUOTE=Goodwin Heil;3047828]I appreciate the in depth reply and I will try to further refine the chip breaker so it establishes a < shape.
    As far as returning it, if only I could. After the steps I have taken trying toseal the chip breaker tighter I do not believe it is returnable.[/QUOTE
    Home Depot has a great return policy - they like happy customers - they will take it back.

As Mark said, they will likely take it back. I doubt they will even look at it, let alone examine it.

I would be shocked if they did not take it back. Had a water heater of theirs go bad way too soon. Like year 2 of a 10 year warranty model. They got it dropped on their floor with the clear understanding of not returning those to the store. They smiled and got me another one to take home.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwin Heil View Post
    Stanley Plane Problems
    It seems silly to bother with something like this when quality, antique planes are available by the dozens on any given day on everyone's favourite auction site, not to mention tool dealers' sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    It seems silly to bother with something like this when quality, antique planes are available by the dozens on any given day on everyone's favourite auction site, not to mention tool dealers' sites.
    Goodwin,

And unless prices on a #5 have gone way up since my last look, for about the same money.

Having said that Jerome's advice is right on, in fact I was going to make pretty much the same post and he saved me the trouble. That is if you wish to keep the plane.

ken

Where, Pray tell, is everyone's favorite auction site. I would much rather have a quality vintage #5 if I can find one.

Where, Pray tell, is everyone's favorite auction site. I would much rather have a quality vintage #5 if I can find one.
    Code for eBay,

ken

Blog Entries
    The mating edge of the chip breaker should be a bevel where it meets the blade. This way when it compresses some it maintains a seal against shavings.

There is a lot of information in the archives > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....al-wisdom-FAQs

Here is an old post of mine on rehabilitating old planes > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373

There are also other posts about plane rehabilitation by others in the archive.

The auction site that often goes without name is ebay.

It amazes me how much some planes are now costing compared to a decade ago. It may have a lot to do with how ebay has reformed itself to purge itself of the smaller dealers.

Goodwin, there is also a Saw Mill Creek Classifieds section available to contributors for a mere $6 a year. If what you are looking for is not listed you can use a WTB (Want to Buy) ad.

There are also other options depending on your locality. Of course listing all of the local dealers to check in my area would be of no use if you are in Florida.

I have various other planes that are in the process of restoration, but I needed one Now.
    Putting a plane or two together from a pile of parts shouldn't take more than a few hours if you aren't trying for perfection.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-23-2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Moved things around
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Goodwin,

I just looked, it looks like a #5 asking is between ~$40 USD to $100 USD plus shipping. The problem with shopping eBay is you may end up kissing a few frogs before finding your prince. The frogs can make good parts donators so all is not lost.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    As Mark said, they will likely take it back. I doubt they will even look at it, let alone examine it.
    100% agree (and they'll prob try to put it back in stock)
    I have had two experiences now where a Christmas gift came used. About 8 years ago my mother bought be a Ryobi miter saw, got it home and the fence was wonky so I went to exchange it. The next one they brought out I asked to be removed from box so I could check the fence and it was totally used. Sawdust in the bag, on the arm, etc.

Last year my mom bought me a DeWalt cordless multi tool, same thing, blades were clearly used, sawdust all over the tool, etc.

It has really pissed me off both times. If you are going to have a return all policy, at least put the items on clearance or something. Don't try to half ass clean then and sell as new.

Like others have said #5 are plentiful in the wild. I haven't been at it as long as the others above, but it seems like 90% of the planes I find at garage, estate, antique sales are either 4 or 5's. I second the WTB ad, I put up a WTB for a wood jointer and got a variety of options.