Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hidden Gate hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    I would generally agree, but at $100-150 per stainless steel hinge: I’d rather skip the hinge idea altogether. If I wanted 2 doors, I’d be spending a minimum of $400 in hinges (more likely $600... PVC is heavy, so I’d likely need 3/door I bet).

Again, this is for a storage area under a porch. I doubt I’d be accessing it more than a few times per month on average...
    I think that each hinge can support around 175 pounds, so two hinges are rated at 350 pounds. Do you expect that someone will swing on the door? if so, then you might need three to support your 300 pound relative for using it as a play toy to swing on

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I think that each hinge can support around 175 pounds, so two hinges are rated at 350 pounds. Do you expect that someone will swing on the door? if so, then you might need three to support your 300 pound relative for using it as a play toy to swing on
    If that’s the case, I’m sure one hinge would easily do the trick! But even so: I think those particular hinges are just unjustifiably priced for the use I’m going for.

If this was a hidden room in my house kind of deal, I’d be all for it. But for an access panel below my deck that will be used a few times a year to fetch the hose stored underneath? I just can’t justify it. It does seem to check my boxes (although I’m still wondering if it swings out and away enough to allow the gate to open more than 90*), but again, I can think of a few other things I’d rather spend my money on.

Made in Germany. You know the Germans always make good stuff .

Yes, they open more than 90 deg.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 09-04-2020 at 12:23 AM. Reason: spelling

If it isn't for frequent use, I would go for a removable panel and would forget any hinges at all *except* if it is too heavy to be easily removed. In that case I would combine the hinges and some steel coil to help.

Can you keep it really simple by using bolts and threaded inserts? I did it with screens for my attic vents & we happy with the results.