Thread: What is a Person to Do?

Blog Entries

What is a Person to Do?

My Tax Identity Shield service just sent me an email with this message:

Tax Identity Shield found a match to your monitored information.
    Though the cost of this was included with our last tax preparation when the account was set up it wouldn't allow us to do so with out a cell phone to receive a verification message. This tends to be the new "two step" security system.

So right now I am on hold with someone who is baffled by the idea there are actually people who do not have a cell phone. We do not have reception where we live, so having one wouldn't be much good since to receive a text we would have to drive a mile or more, get the message and then drive back home.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    The original post on this was started then abandoned while getting things straight with telephone support.

It had a message about my email possibly being compromised and suggested a password change.

Have you ever set up your email and not needed to use the password for ten years or so?

In the process my email somehow disappeared from my reader and wouldn't allow me to add it back or log in because it was already open.

Finally got off the swirling merry go round and got it sorted.

Again, technology in which a degree was earned close to 40 years ago had me flummoxed for a couple hours. About 20 years ago my work was pretty much set and didn't need much in the way of continuing education. Now everything is 'intuitive' with icons like three dots or four lines and people are supposed to know what it means. What ever happened to a simple word like 'menu' or 'log out.'

There is a help box, but asking about how to change a password gets you to know wheres wanted. (spelling pun intended)

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-31-2020 at 6:42 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    So right now I am on hold with someone who is baffled by the idea there are actually people who do not have a cell phone.
    I have several online accounts that keep pestering me to enable two-step verification using my cell phone to receive text messages. These companies are baffled by the idea that there are people who actually do not live in the States.

I had to close a credit union account that catered to military personnel and transfer the funds to another CU. The two-step verification was mandatory for all accounts by a certain date, and any account that was not compliant would be frozen. I tried to reason with the CU manager, but the verification system would not allow a non-U.S. number and there were no other options for the verification. To the programmers, the rest of the world is as it appears outside their window.

I have a lot of money with Vanguard, and their two-step verification system will only accept a U.S. phone number. Fortunately, they understand that some of their customers live overseas and they have a restricted, but reasonable, process for accounts that do not have the two-step verification enabled.

Password? There is a password?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

So right now I am on hold with someone who is baffled by the idea there are actually people who do not have a cell phone. ..
    Awhile back, me, and I'm sure many others, couldn't log into Paypal because when they started asking users to
    add their mobile phone numbers with the prompt below, whoever designed the web page forgot to add in the
    "not now" option/button. At the time the only way I could figure out how to log in was TO add my mobile number (nope),
    or go thru the motions of buying something online via Paypal...

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    I had to close a credit union account that catered to military personnel and transfer the funds to another CU. The two-step verification was mandatory for all accounts by a certain date, and any account that was not compliant would be frozen. I tried to reason with the CU manager, but the verification system would not allow a non-U.S. number and there were no other options for the verification. To the programmers, the rest of the world is as it appears outside their window.

I have a lot of money with Vanguard, and their two-step verification system will only accept a U.S. phone number. Fortunately, they understand that some of their customers live overseas and they have a restricted, but reasonable, process for accounts that do not have the two-step verification enabled.
    Could you use a GoogleVoice number to have a US based area code and number for this? (Not sure if GV will forward voice/texts to a non-North American number)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    To the programmers, the rest of the world is as it appears outside their window.
    Having worked with some programmers, most of them do not work in rooms with windows. For many of them the rest of the world is created in a little place between their own ears.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 09-01-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: wording

Having worked with some programmers, most of them do not work in rooms with windows. For many of them the rest of the world is a created in a little place between their own ears.

jtk
    Most would like windows. They're not allowed to have them until they're management
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Having worked with some programmers, most of them do not work in rooms with windows. For many of them the rest of the world is a created in a little place between their own ears.

jtk
    No windows? I didn't think they ALL used unix.

Sorry Jim, you didn't just crack open the door for that one, you kicked it down!

-Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    No windows? I didn't think they ALL used unix.

Sorry Jim, you didn't just crack open the door for that one, you kicked it down!

-Tom
    LOL!

jtk