Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House selling woes

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Greene County New York?

You'll get a fair amount of BS from home inspectors. Vast majority of them seem to identify the same "complaints" over and over. "Low water pressure" on a well is usually of them.
    The problem is that the well pressure switches come preset to a low number and then subtract a partially clogged filter and improper pressure on the pressure tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    So I call the agent for buyer and explain that all negotiations are off and I would not sell to the guy under any circumstances for any price. Next I get a letter from the state Human Relations commission about a complaint that I am discriminating against the buyers in housing......He claims because he is Cherokee. Well he does live in Ga. What the hell did I get into now. So I log onto Ancestry.com and sure enough the guy is a member and has a tree up on line. All of his great grandparents came from Europe. I send that to the HRC and we never hear from him again.
    I dealt with that nonsense when I sold my last house. We went with an offer that waived inspection, and took the place as is. Another agent then started emailing that he was going to sue for discrimination if we did not sell to his client. I told our agent to just ignore it.

There is a situation where refusing to sell can make you liable still to pay the agents commission since they found a buyer. Not sure how to wiggle out of this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    There is a situation where refusing to sell can make you liable still to pay the agents commission since they found a buyer. Not sure how to wiggle out of this situation.
    The buyer's agent I used would have required me to pay them their share of the commission if I bought a lot and built my own house. The construction of the house would have cost me $200,000 so I would have owed them something like $7,000 out of my pocket! The seller of the lot would pay the commission for the lot itself, but of course not for the house I would have built. I haven't read the contract with the buyer's agent well enough to see this clause.

This was one of the reasons I decided not to build. I am glad I did not build because the location was further out and harder to get to. The buyer's agent didn't get much commission in the end because I bought a $150,000 foreclosure and Freddie Mac paid a lower commission than typical. The agent couldn't charge me commission on the $100,000 I spent on renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Yes, that can happen. The agent is hired to find you a willing buyer at the price and conditions you specify. If they bring you such a willing buyer and you refuse to sell the agent can generally demand his/her commission. I think most agents wouldn't push that but they could. [That is, refuse to sell to anyone, not to one specific person. They've spent time and money attempting to fulfill their part of the listing contract, which is to bring you a buyer. To have you renege after they've done their part would be unfair. In your case, you don't have a buyer ready to go. You have a buyer demanding all kind of changes. That could give you an out. You should reply to the buyer's demands by saying that you will sell the place "as is". Take it or leave it. But talk to an attorney.]

Under certain conditions, if you have a valid signed purchase contract, the buyer can sue for specific performance and force you to sell. But that's really rare. More likely they'd sue for damages.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-01-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Part of what I liked when I bought my house is the septic had been replaced three years prior. I seem to recall the seller (a bank due to foreclosure) had a septic inspection done. It was the only good part of the entire house.

I had a buyer's inspection done, but only to see if there was a major structural defect I missed. I knew there was a huge list of repairs needed. The inspector earned his money as the report was 51 pages long. I think he really only found one item I didn't already know about. The deck was a death trap. The inspector actually said that both of us probably shouldn't be standing on the deck. (Deck was one of the first things to go.)