Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Woodworking for a living

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Woodworking for a living

How many of you are doing this for a living?
    I don’t want to but just noticing lots of big tool owners on here.

You might find that those who own the big, nice fancy tools just do it for fun, because they have a main job that lets them afford them. There are exceptions though.

Another factor is often times you can find bigger, used machines for the same price as a smaller, new one, so in that case it's like "Why not just buy the big one"

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    You might find that those who own the big, nice fancy tools just do it for fun, because they have a main job that lets them afford them.
    Exactly. The "buy your last tool first", "buy once, cry once" and "higher quality holds its value better" mentality definitely applies here.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Exactly. The "buy your last tool first", "buy once, cry once" and "higher quality holds its value better" mentality definitely applies here.
    Going along with that thought, I've personally splurged and bought some very nice handtools along my woodworking periods, and eventually ended up selling some for probably 80-90% of what I paid, even though I used them for a few years. Looking back on that, buying low/mid-range tools would have ended up costing me more after it was all said and done, because they would have been harder to sell and I would have gotten a lot less back out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Going along with that thought, I've personally splurged and bought some very nice handtools along my woodworking periods, and eventually ended up selling some for probably 80-90% of what I paid, even though I used them for a few years. Looking back on that, buying low/mid-range tools would have ended up costing me more after it was all said and done, because they would have been harder to sell and I would have gotten a lot less back out of them.
    Oh Ill add another to that, I have MADE money from buying tools, never getting around to using them and ending up selling them in brand new or like new condition. A lot of higher end brands increase their prices annually and as they do that the resale value goes up. If you're good at finding deals in the forefront and getting supposedly fixed priced tools for less than retail and end up selling them years later after their prices have gone up a lot more you can actually make money off power tools sometimes! lol Who'd have thought?!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The size and/or assortment of tools isn't an indicator that one is doing woodworking for a living. We do have quite a few folks here who are employed that way and they have a wide range of shop setups and situations. Some of them are quite active here, too. By the same token, there are quite a few folks here who are hobbyists that enjoy big iron and have very nice shop setups.

My shop evolved through several iterations and is well equipped because I was fortunate to be able to make that investment long before retirement was in the picture. For most of the last 25 years, it was pure hobby work, although in the last ten years or so, I did take on a few commission jobs making equestrian tack trunks. When I retired from full time work not quite three years ago, I decided to do more commission work and created a real business to do so. But I don't earn a living from this...it's just for "mad money" and part time. I don't need the income. Most of that work is subcontract to other makers, too, and is quite enjoyable. I may or may not continue in this way going forward. It's hard to say at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm a full timer now. Used to be a hobby, I bought some nice machines with the old career, then when that needed to change I decided to make my hobby my job. As for the big machines, what I find is that I actually had better taste in machines when I was a hobbiest. Now they all have to pay their way, so no more "just because I want one" purchases. My woodworking intent when I started this full time has adapted into more carpentry than expected, so while I have a big shop full of cool stuff, the main revenue is from building houses. There is enough millwork, cabinets and custom projects that come out of the shop to justify keeping it, for now at least. However now I dream of better finishing rooms, drying racks, a better forklift, etc. Boring.

Woodworking is one category, on the list of things that I do for a living. I don't do it for a hobby.

I live about 20 miles west of Lancaster PA. Sine available farmland is increasingly expensive, the Amish have branched out into wood working. Generally in shops on farms already belonging to family. My wife has purchased several custom made pieces from the Amish. Not always solid hardwood, but certainly no press board. Been pleased with everything but how much they charge for the alterations to a standard piece in production. There are literally 100s of furniture shops and they make everything from birdhouses and porch crafts to fancy dining room furniture. At one time, Amish would only use air powered tools and engine driven tools. Somewhere along the way, the Ordnung was changed and they are permitted to use electricity, as long as it does not come from the grid. So many now have big diesel generators to run their shop equipment. They waste nothing, even the saw dust and scraps are used. they will also work long hours for low wages. No body in this area could start a wood working business with out having some kind of hook, or special product. Even if you do, within a few weeks, the Amish will have got their hands on your product and set up to copy your product.

For those that live in a populated area you can get the Nextdoor app to communicate with neighbors, mine is linked to 41 neighborhoods. I posted my end tables on there under the title Covid Projects. Within a week I had people wanting 4 end tables and a bed. I turned down the bed job and scared away the others with the price. If I was needing work I could have handled it differently. Just an idea to get work.

I am a professional woodworker. I have 35 years experience, 24 as a business owner. My business model is no debt, no employees, and make stuff that lets me add as much value as possible to the raw material. I buy high quality wood wholesale for about $6. per board foot average, cut it up into little pieces and put it back together, and sell it for up to $200. per board foot. Average is about $110. The product is custom solid wood house and building parts, to match existing. No sheet goods, no spraying.

I like this forum, because I see people going to great lengths to make decent stuff, on a budget.

With all this experience in the field, I can offer one piece of advice.
    Stop fussing with Magic Table Wax, and buy a dehumidifier.

Like any kind of business, successfully supporting oneself requires that business to "have a plan", "work the plan" and have a clear purpose and benefit to the market its pursuing. Youz gotz to make what folkz wantz. And at a price that "your" customers want to pay rather than acquire from someone else because of the value you add to their experience/world. That absolutely means NOT pursuing everyone...some folks just are not your customer. Example...I sometimes make very nice equestrian tack trunks for folks on commission. I get $800-1600 for them, depending on features, etc. I'm not in any way, shape or form trying to compete with the people slapping together boxes from home center plywood and pre-milled pine and selling them for $300-500. If that's what someone wants to buy, there are plenty of people they can go to. If they want furniture quality and are willing to pay for it, I'm the right source. Yes, I don't sell many of them in a year. That's ok. My customers are happy and I get more business because of it. Even if I were dependent on the business for income, I'd still choose to set my standards and stick by them.

I've been having this kind of conversation with my younger daughter who is a senior in college and wants to have her own boutique business in the future. She's quickly learning that you don't just hang out your shingle and have folks knocking at the door to make you a multi-millionaire.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    For those that live in a populated area you can get the Nextdoor app to communicate with neighbors, mine is linked to 41 neighborhoods. I posted my end tables on there under the title Covid Projects. Within a week I had people wanting 4 end tables and a bed. I turned down the bed job and scared away the others with the price. If I was needing work I could have handled it differently. Just an idea to get work.
    I've been selling work for 43 years. I have yet to make a great return on work for friends and neighbors. I had to work hard to meet the .1% or less that appreciate hand made and came to me, because of me. Those were the ones that I made a fine living from.

I knew two guys from around there, one closed his cabinet shop due to the Amish but said he also needed regular hours. The other guy sold some huge oak trees to an Amish guy, got big bucks. When the Amish cut them down the whole inside was rot. They left them beside a road.

Not sure what qualifies as woodworking but full time shop here.