Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

31 Aug 2020

Greetings from a rainy and stormy part of the U.S...While I like the cooler temps the humidity is crazy high and I'm hoping for cooler weather to arrive soon. No real time in the shop this week. Been working on helping The LOML get in the "groove" of going to college for the 1st time in several decades. Her laptop computer finally showed up in delivery and I helped her get it all setup yesterday afternoon. Oncall duty for me this week and I'm needing a nice quiet week at the day job.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I guess you did get a "bit" of rain, Dennis. Fortunately, not what the folks south and slightly west got including the wind. Terrible conditions down there!

Eclectic week for me...as usual. I finished up the room renovation project and am very pleased with the end result. It's pretty much decided that this room will be somewhat of a gallery for wood art and other forms of art. Not much furniture will grace the space and whatever that ends up being will be made by me or other craftspeople.

IMG_E8141.jpg

I also completed two urns for a friend who recently lost a dog to old age...she's splitting the remains between herself and her parents as the dog was something like 18 years old. I'll be posting photos of that in Woodworking Projects soon. I also worked on tracing and modeling a Chinese carving that a client may use for a new chair design. That was a lot of work, especially with my eyesight thing, but the end result was surprisingly great. It's small and the cut time is long, but it may make things very special.

Lastly, I moved on to the next home improvement project...getting the gutter screens installed. Finally. It's a lot of work, but eliminates, more or less, the need for twice a year cleaning. I have to dig out a longer ladder to get to some areas, but got both the shop building and about 30% of the house done yesterday.

IMG_8164.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not great woodwork, but I managed to finish the casting deck for some concrete counters and loaded it onto the deck where they will be cast. I needed a new deck since these pieces will be larger than tops cast before.
    DECK_SM.jpg

I completed a wavy flag carving for a customer on Thursday, and am working on the body of the sign now. He was adamant it be built using wood.

FLAG_SM.jpg

Dennis - hope you get the quiet week you're hoping for.

Jim - the room looks great. I really love the floor and find the wall color really plays nice with it. Is the wall as grey as it appears in the picture?

As for me, still working on the mid century vanity for my son's home. All the pre-finishing is complete and I have the carcases assembled. Mounted the cabinet portion of the drawer slides last evening and will begin the drawer boxes tomorrow.

Lisa, it's a medium-light grey. At first I was a little worried that it was going to be too dark from a sample patch, but once fully on the wall, it was surprisingly bright. That room used to feel like a dungeon. No longer.
    --

Jim, I think you'll like the gutter guards. I had similar type installed a few years back when I had new gutters installed and they work well. I do find they need to be brushed off every now and then as small twigs and maple tree seeds and the like don't just slide off or blow off, but I just use a brush on the end of a paint roller extension handle to brush them off from the ground. Way better than having to clean the gutters themselves.

I got the cabinet boxes installed in my home office:

DSC_0205a.jpg

DSC_0206a.jpg

Install went smoothly, no doubt due to the time I spent getting the bases level first. I ran the two end upper cabinets 1/4" deep to provide room to scribe to the wall, but I caught a break and didn't need to do any scribing there. I did have to do some on the top and bottom of the tall narrow niches against the adjoining walls. Sill have to make and install stops for the tall narrow doors that will cover those areas. I wanted a place to store the window screens and stuff like posterboard and the various charts my wife uses in teaching, so that what the narrow spaces are for.

The middle roll-outs are adjustable up and down by request of the boss. The spacers that hold the undermount slides have 4 shelf pins that slip into the shelf pins holes so they can be positioned as desired.

Still a lot to do on this project, but at least it is coming along. Now we can move all the "stuff" that is mostly in piles in the other half of the room into the new cabinets, and then will free up the room so I can do the flooring. I hope to order the flooring tomorrow; while waiting for it to arrive, I can pull up the rest of the old floor and prep the subfloor. And as time permits, I'll start on the doors and drawer fronts.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul, the guards are a quality stainless steel product and the cost from Costco is a fraction of what multiple quotes to get our home done "professionally" came in at. One outfit quoted over $4000 to do it. My material cost for DIY is about $500. "Old home inconsistencies" along the roof edges made for a few installation challenges, but they will do the job. Once I can dig out my taller ladder from the upstairs of my shop building, I'll get the last three sections of roof completed. It's good you mentioned brushing them off...in the box is a flyer for a free brush attachment to do that. (supply one's own pole)
    --