Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on first laser cutter

Debby I found Carol and Ray to be very Helpful. They are always there to help if theres a problem. I spent a whole day at Rabbit Ray teaching me how to use the machine. When I upgraded from Win 7 to win 10 Carol spent over an hour on the phone with me walking me thru the setup and install. I'm sure if you go with Rabbit you won't be disappointed .
    Quote Originally Posted by Debby Heyler View Post
    I wanted to thank everyone here for all the help I got. I found an absolute ton of great advice and info on this site. I gave the people at Rabbit a call and can't believe how nice they were. Its definitely more than I wanted to spend (I'm looking at the RL-XX-6040) but for the difference it makes a huge difference. One of my biggest problems was most of the machines I came across were just too big to fit in the house. They have one that comes apart. I was worried about the weight and how I’d get it into the house once it was here but they have a place 4 hours from me. For $400 they deliver it, take it apart, put it in the house, put it back together, set it up, and show me how to use it. They also have a showroom so I can drive down there and try out the machine myself before buying anything.
    I’m still in the planning stage and have some work to do with my house before I decide on anything but that will give me more time to save up and do more research.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

For $400 they deliver it, take it apart, put it in the house, put it back together, set it up, and show me how to use it.
    That sounds like money well spent!

Don't forget to plan for the exhaust. That was the big hold up in getting mine running in my home office.

IF everyone new purchased from a dealer, instead of the cheapest one on eBay we would have a lot less questions on here. Ray Scott is one of the best and there are others of course.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    A few more comments. Most of the chinese lasers WILL come apart into top and bottom sections. BUT, understand they WILL remain connected via all of the wiring. I moved a 1300x900mm laser into my basement several years ago. Went through a 36" doorway with millimeters to spare. Myself and my wife and daughter. And then only helped stabilize the thing while I picked up on end. Quite a workout that day. I would have gladly paid $400 to have someone do it for me.

Epilogs and Trotecs can do 3d without moving z axis. Chinese machines not without doing multiple layers. At least I haven't found a way. There is NO option for a grey scale gradient with the Chinese software. (may be more the glass tube actually)
    If someone wants to prove me wrong, send me the RD file. I'd jump on a Rabbit laser without hesitation. Have heard nothing but good things.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post

Epilogs and Trotecs can do 3d without moving z axis. Chinese machines not without doing multiple layers. At least I haven't found a way. There is NO option for a grey scale gradient with the Chinese software. (may be more the glass tube actually)
    If someone wants to prove me wrong, send me the RD file.
    I don't have an RD file but lots of Chinese machines can do 3D engraving. On the Ruida controllers it is called "Output Direct" - you set min and max power values and the software will adjust the laser power between those two based upon the value of each pixel.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

6. I just acquired a Nova 35 from ThunderlaserUSA, they have a cheaper one Nova 24. So far the service has been awesome. I needed some help and response was within the hour. The machine just seems put together so well and I'm already cutting away happily. I can't speak to long term longevity yet, but so far I have zero regrets going with them.

I'm pretty sure Lightburn can also do the grey scale 3D engraving.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Have a friend that is selling his epilog mini 30 watt machine if you want a good one. Check out yjr FB market place and the epilog FB page to find
    it
    rich

Hi Debby,

The first thing to consider is... what do you want to do with it? When we got ours our first need was to cut wood shapes, 1/8 to 3/8" thick, on a commercial level. We needed at least 50 watts and a 24x18" bed. Decent software and something I can maintain & repair when needed. Our Epilog Helix fit the bill nicely and led us into a lot of new projects. Way more expensive than a small starter kit.

If you want to cut thin wood and acrylic you should probably consider at least 40 watts. Find out if tubes and parts are available. Whole lot better, faster and cheaper to learn to do your own repairs than send the machine back.

I have friends who own Glowforge. They love the software and some of the features. None have run screaming to throw them in the bumpster!

You're doing the right thing... homework, asking questions. It's a good sized investment so ask away!

I’m looking to get my first laser cutter and need some advice (yep, another one of those threads).
    "It always looks darkest just before it goes completely black."

Epilog Helix 50 Watt, Corel X6, Illustrator, Photoshop, Sherline Lathe, Wacom Bamboo tablet and plenty of chocolate.

Well the last we heard from Debbie was Sept 2nd. Guess she gave up or found a laser and didn't come back to tell us what she ended up doing.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander