Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on first laser cutter

Need advice on first laser cutter

I’m looking to get my first laser cutter and need some advice (yep, another one of those threads). $2000 to $3000 is what I originally intended to spend but I was a little disappointed looking at the options in that range. I can go up to $4000 or maybe $5000 if it’s worth it. At first I was looking at the Glowforge Basic (40w $2500), the Flux Beamo (30w $1900), or even a Full Spectrum Muse Core Desktop (40w $3500 on sale for $2774). I even looked at the K40 type cutters but that went out the window pretty quick. Turns out I’m a big fan of not having my house burn down. Guess I’m just fussy.

GF makes everything seem so nice and easy till you really start digging and asking questions. I can see why people call them the Cricut of laser cutters. The laser is $500 to replace. You can’t do it yourself. You have to send it in and it can take a month to get back unless you want a refurbished machine. I don’t like that the software is only online but I do have a good internet connection. The Beamo seems like a good alternative but I can find no reliable info about them outside of 2 YouTube videos that are old. The Muse was pretty much the same. Not much info about how well people like them long term. I wasn’t expecting to find some holy grail of a machine, but I was hoping to find something realistically useable for the price.

I’ve seen Boss lasers recommended quite a bit. Their entry level (LS1416) was $4000 ($5000 with tax and shipping). From what I’ve seen they look like a really good choice but again, I had questions. I called the rep and kept him on the phone for about 30 minutes listening to my confusing ramblings. That man was slicker than a used car salesman. He upgraded the laser from a 50w to a 65w and threw in a stand. I almost did it but I’m glad I waited. Stupid me got all excited about getting a laser and didn’t think to check the size. Holy cow is it huge. I don’t have a garage so it has to go inside my house. Unfortunately, it was too wide to fit through the doorway. I really wanted this to happen but I’m not going to tear out the whole back of my house to do it. I’d also have to hire an electrician. He said the machine and the compressor had to each be on their own 20w fuse. If I went with something this big I’d have to set it up at my parents house. They have a workshop but that brings in a whole host of new problems to deal with.

Now I’m back to looking at smaller machines. The biggest doorway on my house is 30.5” so probably 30” would be the biggest I’d be able to get through. Does anyone have experience with these smaller machines? Is the GF worth giving a try and maybe going bigger in the future if it’s worth it? Does anyone have an experience with the Muse? Has anyone even heard of a Beamo? Are there other viable options out there that I missed? I’ve genuinely been trying to learn as much as I can before buying but there’s so much to take into consideration it’s sometimes easy to get lost in it all.

I’m comfortable working with vectors. The software side of it seems pretty straightforward. I’d like to get into 3D engraving as I get more comfortable. It looks easy to do but not easy to do well.

I don’t have any experience with a laser or skills necessary to build or even troubleshoot some of the cheaper K40 type models. I don’t mind having to learn general maintenance like replacing tubes but I’m not sure of my abilities to do things beyond that. I don’t know that I’d ever be able to do something like replace a circuit panel.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Debby Heyler View Post
    I’m looking to get my first laser cutter and need some advice (yep, another one of those threads). $2000 to $3000 is what I originally intended to spend but I was a little disappointed looking at the options in that range. I can go up to $4000 or maybe $5000 if it’s worth it. At first I was looking at the Glowforge Basic (40w $2500), the Flux Beamo (30w $1900), or even a Full Spectrum Muse Core Desktop (40w $3500 on sale for $2774). I even looked at the K40 type cutters but that went out the window pretty quick. Turns out I’m a big fan of not having my house burn down. Guess I’m just fussy.

GF makes everything seem so nice and easy till you really start digging and asking questions. I can see why people call them the Cricut of laser cutters. The laser is $500 to replace. You can’t do it yourself. You have to send it in and it can take a month to get back unless you want a refurbished machine. I don’t like that the software is only online but I do have a good internet connection. The Beamo seems like a good alternative but I can find no reliable info about them outside of 2 YouTube videos that are old. The Muse was pretty much the same. Not much info about how well people like them long term. I wasn’t expecting to find some holy grail of a machine, but I was hoping to find something realistically useable for the price.

I’ve seen Boss lasers recommended quite a bit. Their entry level (LS1416) was $4000 ($5000 with tax and shipping). From what I’ve seen they look like a really good choice but again, I had questions. I called the rep and kept him on the phone for about 30 minutes listening to my confusing ramblings. That man was slicker than a used car salesman. He upgraded the laser from a 50w to a 65w and threw in a stand. I almost did it but I’m glad I waited. Stupid me got all excited about getting a laser and didn’t think to check the size. Holy cow is it huge. I don’t have a garage so it has to go inside my house. Unfortunately, it was too wide to fit through the doorway. I really wanted this to happen but I’m not going to tear out the whole back of my house to do it. I’d also have to hire an electrician. He said the machine and the compressor had to each be on their own 20w fuse. If I went with something this big I’d have to set it up at my parents house. They have a workshop but that brings in a whole host of new problems to deal with.

Now I’m back to looking at smaller machines. The biggest doorway on my house is 30.5” so probably 30” would be the biggest I’d be able to get through. Does anyone have experience with these smaller machines? Is the GF worth giving a try and maybe going bigger in the future if it’s worth it? Does anyone have an experience with the Muse? Has anyone even heard of a Beamo? Are there other viable options out there that I missed? I’ve genuinely been trying to learn as much as I can before buying but there’s so much to take into consideration it’s sometimes easy to get lost in it all.

I’m comfortable working with vectors. The software side of it seems pretty straightforward. I’d like to get into 3D engraving as I get more comfortable. It looks easy to do but not easy to do well.

I don’t have any experience with a laser or skills necessary to build or even troubleshoot some of the cheaper K40 type models. I don’t mind having to learn general maintenance like replacing tubes but I’m not sure of my abilities to do things beyond that. I don’t know that I’d ever be able to do something like replace a circuit panel.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

happy to help,
    you need cutter or engraver, etc 3D, there is no way you can get into 3D if your system will not be 3 Axis where 99% of system are...
    g mail me to artolin77 , you can always completely dismiss my advice and opinions.
    Kind Regards.

Debby there are hundreds or more Posts and Threads on this Forum about buying a laser. A Search will bring up hours of reading. That's the first thing folks ask and its been asked over and over again. Your asking about a laser, a 3D CNC machine is something entirely different but that is on here also. PS If you have no laser skills or mechanical ability to repair one, please find a dealer near you to purchase from, not eBay!
    Last edited by Bill George; 08-30-2020 at 6:50 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Since you are in the planning phase, I will suggest that you also need to figure out a way to remove the fumes. This will require an additional electrical circuit and switch for a properly sized exhaust fan. The fan is best set up away from where you are working to reduce the noise. The ducting will have to exit the house through a hole in an open window, wall, or the roof. It will also remove a lot of conditioned air from your house while it is running so keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by art olin View Post
    happy to help,
    you need cutter or engraver, etc 3D, there is no way you can get into 3D if your system will not be 3 Axis where 99% of system are...
    g mail me to artolin77 , you can always completely dismiss my advice and opinions.
    Kind Regards.
    I apologize. I didn't word that right. I meant 3D-ish-looking? I've seen pics that are nicely shaded but look very flat and I've seen ones that look nicely shaded but they look like they have a little depth to them. I know a lasers don't have the ability to do deep engravings but some people have managed to do engravings that look like they have some depth. I was just referring to the technique I've seen some people use to get that look. I'm not actually looking for a 3D printer or a CNC machine. Just a laser cutter.

Most lasers can do 3d engraving. You need to be able to create an image of the 3d design that varies the darkness based upon the height, aka a height map. The laser will then vary the output power according to the value of each pixel. It's mostly a novelty though.

Do a search here for Glowforge, very few people have good things to say about them, grossly overpriced and underperforming. I don't think Full Spectrum has that great of reputation either.

If you learn how the machines work, you can buy most anything and get it to do what you want. If not, then you should pay for someone else's expertise. Boss laser is one option, a mainstream laser like Epilog or Trotec is another.

Regarding the "20w fuse" for the laser and the compressor - first, each electrical circuit will have a circuit breaker. In the old days they were fuses, when too much current went through a circuit they would fail, which would stop the flow of electricity and prevent a fire. Nowadays we use circuit breakers, they "trip" when the current gets too high and then you can manually reset them.

NEVER replace a circuit breaker (or fuse) with a higher value circuit breaker. The purpose of a circuit breaker is to protect the wiring of the house - not the devices that use the electricity. Circuit breakers are matched to the size of the wires used in the walls. If you replace a circuit breaker with a larger size then it will allow more current to go through the wires - which causes them to heat up and possibly start a fire.

As far as requiring a 20A breaker for the compressor, that sounds high to me. A small compressor for the air assist should not need anywhere near that much current.

The LS1416, wow that is a tiny work area for such a large machine. I paid about the same for my machine and it has more power and eight times the work area, but then mine did not come with lifetime free support. You might also consider a used mainstream machine.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Debby Heyler View Post
    I apologize. I didn't word that right. I meant 3D-ish-looking? I've seen pics that are nicely shaded but look very flat and I've seen ones that look nicely shaded but they look like they have a little depth to them. I know a lasers don't have the ability to do deep engravings but some people have managed to do engravings that look like they have some depth. I was just referring to the technique I've seen some people use to get that look. I'm not actually looking for a 3D printer or a CNC machine. Just a laser cutter.
    Yes, lasers do deep engravings, laser need to have dynamic focus system, meaning 3rd z axis galvo in addition to 2 -axis x and y, and system have ability to easily operate withing 42mm of z axis ( marking, deep engraving, cutting ) on the materials, usually software extension is involved with zmap module for STL files. 2 axis lasers have ability to work like within 5mm, so people will call it 2.5D or mistake it for 3D. But once you have dynamic system you have really proper 3 axis ability and deep engraving 42mm into any material. Kind Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    Most lasers can do 3d engraving. You need to be able to create an image of the 3d design that varies the darkness based upon the height, aka a height map. The laser will then vary the output power according to the value of each pixel. It's mostly a novelty though.
    You are confusing working focal depth of regular lasers for 3D or 3 - axis ability in order to be considered 3D or work in "3D", also you are not operating on STL – so no STL files no 3 - axis at all. Kind Regards.

You are confusing working focal depth of regular lasers for 3D or 3 - axis ability in order to be considered 3D or work in "3D", also you are not operating on STL – so no STL files no 3 - axis at all. Kind Regards.
    I am not confusing anything.

I think what you are doing is narrowly interpreting the OP's "3D engraving" statement to mean only the type of engraving that can be accomplished with a 3 axis machine. I, on the other hand, interpreted the OP's statement to mean "3D laser engraving". She is talking about a laser after all and lasers can indeed do "3D laser engraving". Wether or not an stl file is involved is irrelevant. It is also irrelevant to 3 axis machines since they can use a variety of file types.

Here is an example of a Trotec laser doing "3D engraving".

www.troteclaser.com/relief-engraving

Last edited by Rich Harman; 08-30-2020 at 9:11 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I think what you are doing is narrowly interpreting the OP's "3D engraving" statement to mean only the type of engraving that can be accomplished with a 3 axis machine. I, on the other hand, interpreted the OP's statement to mean "3D laser engraving". She is talking about a laser after all and lasers can indeed do "3D laser engraving". Wether or not an stl file is involved is irrelevant. It is also irrelevant to 3 axis machines since they can use a variety of file types.

yes exactly what i wrote 1:07 - 1:15 - it is exactly what is working focal depth
    3 axis is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww8VNiOiAxo

Kind Regards.

www.troteclaser.com/relief-engraving

That's beautiful. Much cleaner than a lot of the other stuff I've seen.

So not watching the video I am assuming the depth of the faux 3D is depending on the shading in the BMP or other image, darker = deeper and more passes.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I would talk to Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser USA most of his laser will come apart to fit thru smaller door ways. These are top quility machines with excellent support. Might cost a tad more but well worth it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Most laser engravers can be removed from the stand and tilted 90 degrees so they will pass through a standard doorway. Check the height of the cabinet to verify that it is less than 30" and your in business. They are generally pretty heavy so you will need some help.

I wanted to thank everyone here for all the help I got. I found an absolute ton of great advice and info on this site. I gave the people at Rabbit a call and can't believe how nice they were. Its definitely more than I wanted to spend (I'm looking at the RL-XX-6040) but for the difference it makes a huge difference. One of my biggest problems was most of the machines I came across were just too big to fit in the house. They have one that comes apart. I was worried about the weight and how I’d get it into the house once it was here but they have a place 4 hours from me. For $400 they deliver it, take it apart, put it in the house, put it back together, set it up, and show me how to use it. They also have a showroom so I can drive down there and try out the machine myself before buying anything.
    I’m still in the planning stage and have some work to do with my house before I decide on anything but that will give me more time to save up and do more research.