Thread: Advice on sappy wood

Advice on sappy wood

Hey guys, my neighbor had a spruce tree come down recently. He cut it into lengths and put it to the curb. Naturally I went to check them out and took a few home. 27” length, 12”-14” diameter, tight rings. I plan on quarter sawing them on my 14” bandsaw. I’m a little apprehensive because I have a brand new green wood milling blade from Timberwolf and these things are just leaking sap everywhere. I have thoughts of perfectly straight grained quarter and rift sawn spruce but don’t want to ruin a brand new blade. If I wait, will this sap dry up? Any advice?

I think the pitch will dry how patient are you it might take about 40 years.
    It shouldn’t be to hard to clean up your blade I use simple green on bandsaw blades. Cleaning up a insert head now that’s a god awful mess. I will never run fat wood though my planer again.

Good Luck
    Aj

Late in the season they will be loaded with sap. There is really nothing you can do about it and as Andrew said it will happen for an eternity unless you have a means to set the pitch (high heat). You can google the KD process. The temp tossed around is typically holding the core of the material at 165 degrees for 24 hours. Shouldnt be too hard to fashion a small insulated box and heat source to do that at the end of a drying cycle if you really wanted to.

Even with all that, you'll still have to saw them up and deal with the sap unless you wait for winter and leave them outside to freeze and saw them when its cold. At least the sap wont be flowing then.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 09-02-2020 at 12:20 PM.